Giants Seat 16th- 22nd September Week-long Meet/Vintage festival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Dave just a quick one. I am looking to make the weekend. Would it be possible for me to bring some of my catty's and slingbows down for people to try and maybe I could do a little bit with people on the uses of catty's in a bushcraft setting? Could even possibly try to make some natural forks from fallen/deadwood for people to take home.

Dan

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Hi Guys

Just Letting you all know that there will be a
[/FONT] leathercrafting workshop on 21st of Sept (saturday of this meet), it will take place in the Scout hut and will be limited to 8 people, it will be jointly run by myself and Carl (mentalnurse of this parish)

There will be a cost to this workshop (at the moment we are looking at £20, but this may change once we have priced up materials etc)

The cost is to cover the materials/consumables needed to deliver this course and no profit will be made by the group.

As part of the course we will cover how to make a template, cutting techniques, stitching and dyeing techniques etc. For the more advanced (dependant on time) we may look at wet forming, stamping and embossing also.

You will be given an allotted amount of leather (approx. 2 square feet) and can make what you like, though I would suggest that you think along the lines of a sheath for your main knife or laplander pouch etc.

Possibles pouches and tinder pouches will not be undertaken due to time constraints.

You should be able to take home a finished piece of leatherwork provided all goes to plan.

This will be the first of many such sessions, so those of you that don't get chance to participate will be given first refusal of the next courses.

There will also be more advanced classes in the future for those that have undertaken the "Basic Course" provided that there is interest.

Please indicate if we are interested, please make sure that if you put your name down you are definitely interested as I will require payment from you to obtain materials etc.

Please also note that this is on a first come first served basis, once we have reached 8 the course will be full, however if interested please still put your names down as you will go onto the reserve list and also the shortlist for the next course.

Thanks for reading this

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Righto Chaps and Chappettes

We need to start organising this meet as to who will be responsible for what! First couple of questions that need answering are, what are we having on and are there any volunteers for helping setting up?

We are looking at the Leather working course at the moment we have had people show an interest but need definites so i can get leather ordered etc.

We have discussed setting up the blacksmithing again but need to talk about logistics, costs etc.

We discussed setting up a Raffle, so would need items to be donated by members of the group to offer as prizes, and or someone to volunteer to run it.

We have had a parachute VERY graciously donated by Dave Delaney aka Mad Dave, but could do with some other tarps and the like to be set up for the workshop areas incase of a downpour.

we also need to talk about the wood situation, it has been bandied around to see if we can get a wood drop off if all members pay a couple of quid into a pot and club it all together to pay for it. I have spoken to one of the members about this to see his thoughts (as he has a wood connection lol) and will keep everyone updated as to the likelihood of that happening.

I would also like a volunteer to run a camp cooking workshop, dealing with fire management and making a few bits and bobs like bannock, bread and maybe a one pot that people can try themselves. anyone interested?

I am gonna need the group to get involved to make this meet something special, so any help that you can offer no matter how small please let me know!

Thanks and sorry for such a long and waffling post!

Dave

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'll do cooking over the fire if there is a demand...

If we are cooking for some time, then charcoal is easier than managing embers...I can get catering charcoal for about £15 a bag(12kg). This produces a cooking heat for about 5 hours...

How does the following sound:

• bread
  • apple and cinnamon crumble
  • ponassed fish
  • roast beef & veg

A small donation from those having a go / eating would be appreciated, otherwise this could get expensive!

Examples of some of our meals...
20130805_151535_zps74f75c04.jpg

20130805_172028_zpsc7a1dbad.jpg

DSCF2115_zpsd7a198ea.jpg

HebdenHey-May2011051.jpg

I can also bring a parachute if it helps?
Simon

Last edited:

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I have a load of British army tarps I'll bring over for covering over the workshop areas mate, do you want me to bring over press stud setter, stamp sets etc for you to use in the leatherwork workshop?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
you could always stick em in Jim, i have a pretty decent setup but there may be some that i dont have. the tarps would be greatly appreciated too mate.

As for the cooking Simon all i can say is YES PLEASE, there will be a whole lot of interest i would imagine, what kind of donation are we looking at? I would say £5 per person doing the cooking (and eating) and then £2 if you just wanna eat?

best time for this might be saturday afternoon as you will have the most time then!

What do you think?

Dave

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
you could always stick em in Jim, i have a pretty decent setup but there may be some that i dont have. the tarps would be greatly appreciated too mate.

As for the cooking Simon all i can say is YES PLEASE, there will be a whole lot of interest i would imagine, what kind of donation are we looking at? I would say £5 per person doing the cooking (and eating) and then £2 if you just wanna eat?

best time for this might be saturday afternoon as you will have the most time then!

What do you think?

Dave
Give me an idea of how many will be cooking & eating Dave... I only have 2 Dutch ovens and I would imagine most of the time will be spent waiting for food to cook so could be pretty dull.

I can also do the now (in)famous Montain Man breakfast if you like?

Cost wise, you will have change from a fiver, but it all depends on numbers...it would be easier if we could restrict to 5 for each meal. Then do workshops on bread etc for a small donation towards ingredients.

Simon

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
so far we have these people interested in doing the leather workshop

Matthew Mutch
David Welch
Jason Mark Hutchinson

James Middleton Lord
Duane Yates
David Atreides
George Mitson
Jim B
Ben Pliener

I know we said that it would be limited to 8 but it think we can stretch to 10 after looking at it, can those of you that DEFINITELY want to do this PM me either on Facebook or the forum confirming you want to and can make the payment by the required date please thanks.

Dave

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
I've been away from these forums for far too long, missed a whole meet :/

Going to try to come to this one, will only be there for the weekend though. I won't have anything to offer in terms of workshops and events other than interest, but I'll provide a working set of limbs anywhere they're wanted...unless it's on the sharp end of a tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE