Getting tooled up

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Hey all,

Thanks to a generous member I've got some spalted beech to re-scale my peasant. I need to make a trip to the ironmongers (yes, we have one in Darwen) to pick up some tools and oil so I can shape, treat and refit. If you assume I have no tools what so ever, what will I need to get so I can do a good job.

We're talking hand tools and drill bits (like how to you make the recess for a chicago screw?), though if a belt sander / scroll saw would be useful let me know.

Thanks!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Aside from files and a good selection of differing grades of sandpaper, the one thing I would recommend is a pillar drill
Getting those holes straight is one of the biggest challenges in re-handling.
I've done that sort of thing by hand, and it's not something I'd do again if I could help it.
If you already have a drill, you can get a mount to convert it into one.
being able to accurately control the angle and depth of the holes you're drilling makes a huge difference.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks guys.

Do you do all your shaping with files? I guess at a push I could use a vice and a mitre saw to get a basic outline. I've bookmarked a couple of threads on here that show good workflow but all that's missing is *how* they did it and with what :)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Aside from files and a good selection of differing grades of sandpaper, the one thing I would recommend is a pillar drill
Getting those holes straight is one of the biggest challenges in re-handling.
I've done that sort of thing by hand, and it's not something I'd do again if I could help it.
If you already have a drill, you can get a mount to convert it into one.
being able to accurately control the angle and depth of the holes you're drilling makes a huge difference.
ill second that, i would be lost with out my pillar drill, i no there is no way i could get the holes right with out it, it is an investment but well worth it, you can use it for so many things, like as a drum sander, a buffer, lots of things, i would say as well you might be better to save and buy a good one, that way you won't have to keep buying one when the cheap one's pack up.
i bought a wolf 12 speed one, and for me it invaluable

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Here's my shopping list, I think it covered everything-

Fine tenon saw
Fret saw
clamps
wood files / rasps
forstner bit
raw linseed oil

If I can pick up a pillar drill I will. If I do, I'll try and get a buffing wheel attachment and a sanding drum.

Can you buff non-stabalised wood?

EDIT: Oh go on then, since you said I should, I picked up this too: http://lockerz.com/s/120724242

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE