Getting the kids involved in the outdoors.

Some pics from a multi day wild camping trip to the Inverpollaidh area in the far northwest - with an aim to introducing my very keen wee girl - Kimberly - to kayaking, wild camping & wilderness trips. After sorting out the logistics of taking my seven year old on such a trip, it turned out to be a very rewarding experience for us all...who knows, it might even grow into something lifelong...the next generation.

Camping in the Inverpollaidh area...Ben Mor Coigach in the background..
Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest138.jpg

Getting in some practice.
Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest020.jpg

Rigging up a stable catamaran type thingey for the wean...worked a treat.
Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest030.jpg

Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest034.jpg

A wild windswept peninsula with awsome character....loch Osgaig with the peaks of stac polladidh, cul beag & ben mor as a backdrop.
Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest059.jpg

....and fine beaches...the mighty ridge of Suilven in the top right background.
Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest066.jpg

The delight on the weans face makes up for the constraints & logistical burden of bringing her along....
Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest036.jpg

Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest114.jpg

Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest118.jpg

Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest076.jpg

And of course the troops still managed to squeeze in plenty of beers & banter....
Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest102.jpg

Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest109.jpg

Coigachpeninsulathewildnorthwest189.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good to see Dave, your young un looks well happy :)

Where is Inverpollaidh ? I need to visit in my canoe one day :)

EDIT:

Just found it on Anquet. looks amazing even at 1:50k

Last edited:
Shewie

From wikipedia...You can copy & paste the link below if you want but there's loads of stuff online about the area

'Inverpolly {inverpollaidh} is the name given to a large area of western Sutherland in the Northwest Highlands of Scotland, north of Ullapool. The area contains several prominent hills, rising up from a rough landscape of bogs and lochans. For many years the area was designated National Nature Reserve but since 2004, the designation has been limited to the area of Knockan Crag'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverpolly

That was my first time that far north & we had to tone down our plans big time for the wean - but the area has some potential for canoeing..& sea kayaking....we did think the sea looked way too rough for our mediocre level of sea kayaking experience but then we arrived on a particularly windy week....I've seen pics of it like a mirror.....our water activity took place on the fairly small - loch Osgaig....I think loch Assynt to the north is a fairlly large inland water.
Click on this picture this & you'll see what I mean....It hardly let up the whole week.

I have been looking at loch Maree - which is a bit further south, between Torridon & Dundonell - looks like a superb trip - fairly big loch, steeped in history, some islands, very few roads, spuce & caladonian forrest....my to-do list just grows 'n grows.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow that's some footage Dave, it was like a hurricane coming over and then the calm of the eye before it all kicked off again.

Good decision to paddle elsewhere, no way would I have been going out my with open :)

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
35n8n61.jpg
a wild evening walk
5w0008.jpg
2dqoysi.jpg
me and Dave in the boats
34imfdi.jpg

2ptw5g3.jpg
2q2mmg4.jpg
beau having a swim
14bdwo.jpg
oor Sean caught a nice pollack , and a cracker of a sea trout ...

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Some crackin pics guy's,more inspiration for my eldest,she's been saying she wants to go camping with me,Davy you'll have to come over this way sometime with gaz.
Sean looks like he's had better luck with the fishin than last time over here,although was a tad rough sea's, i wonder what ever happened to that creel?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE