Getting started with a canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Afternoon folks,

I was thinking to myself the other day, how do you get started out with a canoe? In other words, buying it is the easy part but where can you take it for a paddle and not get moaned at or swept into the sea or capsized? I take it most waterways are owned and there's limitations on where you can go depending on laws, ownership and strength of current, etc?

I'm asking because I fancy getting something like a Sevylor for next Summer.

Mucho thanks,

V.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Canals are the best bet - get a BCU licence and that covers you for all canals. Nice, still, sheltered water to get started on.
Then watch a few youtube videos on technique - paddle-stroke, drawstroke, j-stroke etc, and you are away, or invest in Bill Mason's books.
Best to get a second hand quality boat from the classifieds on songfofthepaddle.co.uk rather than a Costco cheapie or an inflatable, assuming you have space to store it.
Er that's it!

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I suppose it was different for me, we lived on a lake in Canada and my dad got a canoe as trade for some work he did for a feller. I loved that canoe, and spent literally hundreds of hours in it. I paddled in the waves, in the shallows, dragged it across land to different lakes, dragged it over the ice in the spring until I hit open water and went trapping with it. I hunted ducks and shot beavers and muskrats out of it, then skinned them beside a wood burning stove in the garage. When I got my drivers license I backed my car over it by accident and I was guttted! Fortunately it was only dented and a stout kick pushed out the dent and thereafter I was always careful not to back into it with the car.

After all that all I can say is find a place to legally use your canoe then get in and paddle, you'll learn the strokes that you need for the conditions you paddle in. I don't use the fancy "J" stroke and instead use a good hard pry stroke as it saves energy especially in rough water. If you want to get "sneaky" then you must learn to skull or at least paddle without lifting your paddle out of the water. Remember that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction and apply the idea to your canoeing and everything will work out fine. Never worry about tipping the canoe, I never have by accident. When you have a safe area tip her on purpose and learn to get back in one way or another either over the bow or stern or over the side although that's darned hard. Learn to stand in the canoe-something they all say you shouldn't but in rough water a semi crouch sure does allow you to use full power on your strokes. Besides if you can't stand in a canoe how in the heck are you going to take a pee over the side? Learn to paddle from both seats, and with the bow seat-use it both ways, learn to sit on the bottom of the craft midway but very close to the gunwales and paddle it balanced on the "chine." Also get a long pole, nice and thin but strong and learn to pole upstream and downstream, what a fantastic way to propell your boat. Don't baby it and worry about scratches, it's a workhorse of a craft and it's meant to be used so use it in every way you can.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not a fan of inflatable canoes - but any boat that floats is better than none :)
Get yourself some good training before you venture too far - meets, clubs and freelance coaches :)) ) all offer a good start in canoeing. Clubs may even offer you canoes to try out before you settle on one type.
Have fun!
PS
I am a freelance level 4 coach and think there is no finer craft than a good Open Canoe :)

Last edited:

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I would say go for it the freedom you get from being on the water is great . Up here in scotland I have used my craft on loads of different lochs and have never had any hassle . Just be considerate with your parking etc .
My paddling skills are limited and self taught so the only advice which would be of any relevance would be always invest in good safety kit
Above all, have fun :)
P9140452.jpg

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
i have been used to kayaks and have done some really rough water, I learned in the baths with the local Scout group where I was a leader. I found the glassfibre kayaks great, both for shooting rapids and on lochs in still or choppy water.I however gave up my canoe to the scouts due to going to college for a couple of years. i however took a notion about a year ago to get an inflattable Sevaleor ? (ranger) but have used it very little as I found it very poor at tracking(keeping in a strait line) with each stroke of the paddle it zig zagged and did not make much forward progress for the amount of energy expended. i will either keep it for down streem drifting to nature watch, or sell it on, to someone who is keen on an inflatable from the storage and transport piont of view. as suggested by someone else I would try to hire one on smooth water or ask if you can have a try of one from a local canoe club. If trying one out, try to have someone with you to raise the alarm should you have a capsize, and remember to borrow a lifejacket too. Do enjoy yourself and best wishes for your canoeing, it is great fun, but my problem was not having company, as I worked shifts an these did not work out when others were available. Do remember to consider the costs of extras such as lifejacket paddles,spray deck if you chose a kayak, and also means of transport plus a roofrack, and where you will store it. Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE