getting rid of a fox humanely.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hi all

first of all, the nature of my work means that guns are out of the question.

the problem is i have some chickens grazing in a field in a mobile chicken ark surrounded by an electric fence. the fence keeps the fox out of the way as long as the fence charger is switched on and the battery is charged. there are times when the fox still gets in because i rely on volunteers to do this work, and due diligence is not always apparent.

i am currently due delivery of 50 beautiful black rock pullets (young laying hens). and i don't want to lose them, a mad fox could potentially kill the lot in one night.

does anyone on the forum have experience of any EFFECTIVE humane fox trapping and removal techniques and what is the best method?

rob

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
yeah but where would you place it? what do you bate it with? and whats the best place to release the fox (apart from the local cricket ground).

i have found a couple of fox tracks that have fences across them which would be a good spot for placement, i really don't want to bate it with a live chicken and whats is the extent of a foxes range. how far away would you have to take it to make sure it doesn't come back?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Ask any local gamekeepers - they probably have some effective traps in their arsenal. A guard dog could also be an answer.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
You would have to bait it with a dead chicken or some road kill,but wear gloves and don't touch the trap and leave your scent on it,as for release i couldn't advise you. normally you humanely dispatch with a shotgun.

Bernie

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Also bearing in mind if interested in being humane that many authorities consider trap and release to be deeply cruel. Forcible relocation often leads to foxes that are attacked as invaders by the foxes in the area where they are released. They don't know the terrain or prey patterns or indeed have an earth and they can become both desparate and disoriented.

Personally I consider releasing foxes in another area as a sign of simply relocating a problem - bringing suffering on the fox and other animals. My take is a problem fox should be accepted (if you cant bring yourself to deal with it) or permanently resolved.

Red

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
fair point BR, on any other farm i would shoot it, or at least get someone who knows what they are doing to do it properly. in this case thats not an option.

others have mentioned a multi tiered defence. a double electric fence, human hair and urine around the fence, a dog, guard geese etc, etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why not have someone come in and trap it, and then quietly dispose of it for you off site ?
Not ideal I agree but that way it covers the problems you have without causing further distress, or trouble on the site.
I can recommend a few very capable people if you want.
You will probably have to repeat the process though, where one fox found a territory a young one will move in when it's empty.

atb,
M

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
cheers mary,

a few names would be useful, and massively appreciated as ever.

a quick PM perhaps?

rob

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddys idea is a good one..
We have a load of poultry here and have plenty of foxes.. Our poultry is all free range and one day we will get something taken by a fox, so far so good, but we did lose a duckling a couple of days ago (could of been a cat, fox, crow or buzzard). We have tried a fox trap (its permanently set up) and all we have caught in it was a young badger which we let go.. Foxes are very wary of them it seems. They also seem to be able to get in and out of them without triggering the doors...

gamekeeper

Feb 12, 2008
N.Yorks
www.poacher.plus.com
Hi Folks,
please bear in mind that releasing a pest onto someone else's property is an offence.

Depending on numbers they can travel as much as 26 mile a night. By removing & relocating one you would just be creating a space for another if there is a large population in your area.

If a fox wants in he'll get in, different smells or not.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm actually quite intrigued by this thread.

Particularly the bit that says "the nature of my work means....."

Could you explain a bit about that locum76?

I'm guessing that means its not that contolling foxes would be unsafe but more that your employer would frown upon it?

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Folks,
please bear in mind that releasing a pest onto someone else's property is an offence.

Depending on numbers they can travel as much as 26 mile a night. By removing & relocating one you would just be creating a space for another if there is a large population in your area.

If a fox wants in he'll get in, different smells or not.

What would you advise Locum to do then..??

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
There used to live a few doors away from me an old lady who kept chickens who had a similar problem and obviously shooting was out of the question in the middle of a housing estate, so her son who worked for a security alarm company came in and rigged up a system which worked on a PIR detector activated alarm which swithed on one of these animal deterent thingies that omit a noise which cannot be heard by humans. It seemed to do the trick. Oh forgot to mention we have loads of foxes around here, many of which actually live in the town.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Did anybody see a program on the BBC recently about modern mass farming techniques presented by a TV. chef whose name escapes me for now.
The episode I saw featured a free-range turkey producer that had his animals penned out doors in a small area of woodland. His method to stop fox predation was to place two dogs, that had been raised from pups with turkeys, into the flock. The dogs would not harm the birds and served as a deterrent to foxes. The farmer had not lost a bird yet.
I don't know if this would work with chickens and it's not a quick solution but it might be worth keeping in mind.
Happy trails...torc.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm actually quite intrigued by this thread.

Particularly the bit that says "the nature of my work means....."

Could you explain a bit about that locum76?

I'm guessing that means its not that contolling foxes would be unsafe but more that your employer would frown upon it?

Red

hi red.

details of why not can be deduced from my website...

www.cyreniansfarm.org.uk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a very worthy cause Rob.

I do think there is some value in sharing the realities of farming with the youngsters. If the reality is that the fox is trapped and then taken away to be humanely destroyed then there is value in acknowledging the realities of life regarding farming, predation, animal natures etc.

Whether it is appropriate for the children to witness the activity is of course a different question, but I think any educational establishment owes its student the truth. The truth of farming chickens is that either one builds very secure enclosures (at a high cost) or one risks loss of livestock, or one kills the predators as necessary - or a combination thereof.

That does not of course mean that one would expect the children to witness or be involved in the act, but I think there is actually some valuable educational mileage in discussing the problems of trap and release, why foxes have the "mass kill" instinct (a problem engendered by farming technique), how whatever we farm comes at a cost etc.

I hope you agree because I have a large fear of education that actually conceals the truth.

What do you think?

Red

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I support BR's view if you are not prepared or able to give an honest and open account of the problem and its solution it's not education but propaganda and one lie will lead to another.

This is an issue that will reoccur as others have stated and how long can the truth be hidden, when the truth becomes known the establishments reputation and yours as an educator will be diminished for ever.

Wrapping people in cotton wool does them no favours in my limited experience those most able to accept the truth are young people they have fewer preconceptions.

Just be biased opinion, Pothunter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE