Getting into Skiing

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Take out a 2nd mortgage, or do a 'Learn to Ski in a Day' course at one of the UK's indoor ski centres.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Get yourself to the dry ski slope at Hillend and have a shot :D if you like it, then there's loads of kit around.
There's a lot of 'fashion' in ski wear, so any of the major retailers will have sales.
Lidl's/Aldi's stuff is really good, especially for the money, I'm told.
Boots, poles and skiis can often be picked up second hand, but if you're going to do cross country might be better to buy your own boots. Lot of hire stuff gets sold on annually.

Monarch teaches skiing in Wintertime on the Gorm, pm him, he's sound and he's most likely to know who's selling off kit.

cheers,
M

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Ski stations & presumably artificial ski slopes rent equipement. cross country skis are different from those used on slopes. It's not difficult to learn & if you can roller skate you're nearly there.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
There's one a few miles from you at Polmont. Very cheap to learn if you join a class. I learnt to Snowboard there in March with my Outdoor Learning class, great fun. Glacier piste snowboarded at Les Deux Alpes this july, fantastic 3300m and burning sun !

Make sure you learn to fall the correct way on plastic though.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Dry ski slopes are good for learning the basics and getting used to the lifts. Once you can do a snowplough and do some snowplough turns without falling over, you can head to Aviemore or Glenshee to hire some kit and ideally, some tuition. Theres no subsitute for the real stuff.

Mountain Spirit in Aviemore lead backcounty ski school and there's plenty of other ski-hire places there, and at Glenshee.

Buying your own gear doesn't make sense when your a begginner IMO. You will ruin kit quickly, especially heather bashing in Scotland. I'd learn on the hire stuff to find out if you like it before you invest.

Backcountry skiing is something I'd love to get into too, I've only gone downhill so far :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE