Getting in training for LDFP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Some of my books are walks, and we have several LDFP in Wiltshire.

I was thinking of the White Horse way...Also includes a lot of Antiquities...and we have MANY here...

But I am not a walking animal, and like everybody, after lockdown I am seedy.

What do I do to get walking again?

Bear in mind a rucksack will be involved.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Start with 20/30 minutes walking locally a day. Build up each week with a goal to increase distance and fitness. You could add 5 minutes a day to overall time. If you can gain fitness to walk comfortably for 2 hours and a pace of 5km plus then start doing longer walks 2/3 times a week.
In training walks I aim for 2/3 hours at a pace just above 6km an hour so try and walk either 12km or 18km with minimal stops. Often I’ll stop ‘half way’ and pause watch (records activity) and have a drink and snack.

I like to use a watch or phone to keep a record and a measure of my distance and speed. The ‘metrics’ are good for motivation.

I walk every day and try and do at least 5/6km a day even if it’s around the block.

Extend walks to longer slower ones to build stamina and get used to what footwear and kit is comfortable. You will soon be walking 10/16km with ease.
Walking is a natural human activity we have evolved for over many years! Your mind and body will take to it easily if you build things up.

I’m also out working a few times a week - outdoor instruction and have a leaders pack. I would always suggest building up stamina and technique before trying to go too far with a heavy load.

If your goal is to walk a LDFP. You could combine sections of that with some of the longer walks. So many great trails to walk in Wiltshire. The drive roofs are level and well surfaced so ideal as there and back training walks.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I no longer do LDFPs; there are too many people on them :)

When I did, I was typically working a 60 hour week and had to get in my preparation at odd times and places. Depending on what state of fitness I was already in (rugby season I would either be fit or injured :)). I would start by loading my rucksack up to about 50% of my expected load and climb the stairs - starting of with just 10 climbs for a few days then 20. Once that was easy I would load to 120% and do it all again, increasing the number of climbs - this would be at least a month before the trek. Oh, and do it in bare/stockinged feet or you'll wear the stair carpet out :). I could do this at home or in the office (once everyone else had gone home).

Getting fit is fundamental to enjoying a trek IMO; otherwise it just becomes a painful chore. Added to the stair climbs I would do isometric exercises and simple things like sit down and get up from the floor with my full load ten or more times.

Oh, and cut your toenails at lease a week before the trek.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
How to get better at walking? Start walking.

Gradually increase distance. Gradually increase the load.

As with all things about being fit, nutrition is king.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I did the White Horse trail a few years ago, lovely little route. We chose to do a mix of camping and B and B which seemed to work well with accommodation locations. Also did Wainwrights Coast to Coast last October. Barely saw another person on both walks. As for training, I didn’t do anything in particular. Other than carrying my loaded pack as often as possible.

Louis

Reactions: Madriverrob

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Some of my books are walks, and we have several LDFP in Wiltshire.

I was thinking of the White Horse way...Also includes a lot of Antiquities...and we have MANY here...

But I am not a walking animal, and like everybody, after lockdown I am seedy.

What do I do to get walking again?

Bear in mind a rucksack will be involved.

Bearing in mind you want to get fit and you have other posts concerning about building up some financial resources could I suggest that you consider creating a Dog walking service.

There is good money in walking peoples dogs for them.

Last edited:

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
To get my fitness back to some sort of level.i bought a mountain bike,road riding mostly,you can get quite fit riding a bike,and you get to see a bit more of where ever you get to go.After awhile i loaded me ruck up with a bit of weight.Cardio and muscle strength improved,and no stress on knees etc.job jobbed.

bearbait

As well as the training suggestions given above, if you (or a hiking buddy) have transport you may be able to do the LDP in manageable daily or weekend segments over a few weeks. Public transport and / or taxis may help with this.

Another way of getting fit is to join a local walking group; some indicate as proceeding at the speed of the slowest member.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I did the White Horse trail a few years ago, lovely little route. We chose to do a mix of camping and B and B which seemed to work well with accommodation locations. Also did Wainwrights Coast to Coast last October. Barely saw another person on both walks. As for training, I didn’t do anything in particular. Other than carrying my loaded pack as often as possible.

Louis
I'd be interested to know how long it took you to do the C2C..... could you do it unsupported? (Wild camping the whole way, carrying all your food).

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I'd be interested to know how long it took you to do the C2C..... could you do it unsupported? (Wild camping the whole way, carrying all your food).

We took 14 days. It passes through quite a lot of a agricultural land and villages.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Found a book, `From Source to Sea` by Tom Chesshire.

Its about the Thames LDFP.

No hills! (The SW coast one sounds thrilling but an awful lot of upping and downing)

But if you stay in pubs, it sounds rather damaging to the wallet

Reactions: swyn and nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As long as you have no serious health or biomechanical issues, not respiratory or cardiac concerns you already have a better starting position than many/

Sometimes you just need to ante up and buy into a thing with some Pain investment. It won't be easy , but I doubt it will ever feel easy and if it was easy would you really be wanting to do it in the first place?

Most growth is on the other side of pain - I can't remember who said it but it keeps proving to be true.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE