Getting hold of wood

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
That may well be helpful jojo. all these places i didnt think of looking....

Eric, I dont really know much about pyrography machines, I bought the Peter Childs as I saw it recommended by professionals. I dont know what the other models offer but with this one the heat is dial controlled and it holds just like a pen. It looks a little home made though so making one would probably be simple, but Im happy with it, it does what I intended it to do, not like the awful blunt instrument i got from hobbycraft which got hot when i held it and my hand was several inches away from the tip.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sounds like you are after sawn and dried planks so you need a timbver supplier like John Boddy http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/ or craft supplies http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

I think I just read in another thread you are in Sheffield? There are a few folk I could recomend that have sawmills and birch and sycamore but it would be green so would move a little during drying, then you would want it dried then shoved through a planer thicknesser. Easiest just to go to Boddy's.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Burnt some veg tan leather last night. Im reet pleased with this result, its better than using a pen because the shading can get more subtle :) :) my favourite new toy. thanks for the leather tip Toddy this is much better than wood
pyro002.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
And these are just doodles I'll bet! Wow! that's all I can say. Now you can make leather bags and such and with your art work on them you'll have no problem selling them.

Have a look at this site to see what can be done. All in french I'm afraid.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it was Eric who suggested the leather, but either way, Lindsay those sketches are stunningly good :D .........you do know that a lot of folks would happily pay to have you do something on leather for them to sew ?? Even little things, like patches or mini pouches let alone satchels and sheaths. They would frame well too :cool:

cheers,
M

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think patches would be very popular. I thought about making my own leather goods like sheaths and alike, but Id then have to get the handicraft up to top standard and I really don't have the means or the know how. Ill produce a lot of leather motiffs i think, as I want a tonne of stuff to put on the stall at the Farmers summer show. if they dont sell there, Im sure at least some will sell here. can I sell as a `maker`?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You will need to talk to Tony about becoming a Maker, but I'm sure he'll be happy about it :D

I really hope your Farmer's Market goes well, it would be good to have a regular outlet for your work.

cheers,
M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Your talent continues to leave me astounded Lindsey.... like Jojo said about your doddles... WOW

I'm glad I bought the pastel drawing of the kettle it's better in real life than the pic you posted :) and whats even better about it the little wifey likes it :D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I've seen the way you work in other media. I just knew you'd like working on leather. Great fun innit?

Eric

Its so smooth. Im not sure how to get deeper shades without blasting holes in it though, that may be unavoidable. Im just waiting in suspense for my first burn after seeing what it does to leather !!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Your talent continues to leave me astounded Lindsey.... like Jojo said about your doddles... WOW

I'm glad I bought the pastel drawing of the kettle it's better in real life than the pic you posted :) and whats even better about it the little wifey likes it :D

Im glad you both like it. I just sent a picture down to the the pastel society hope it gets in this year.

*edit* well actually I sent Phil down to London on a bus to deliver it , I couldnt be bothered myself. haha!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Its so smooth. Im not sure how to get deeper shades without blasting holes in it though, that may be unavoidable. Im just waiting in suspense for my first burn after seeing what it does to leather !!

Don't press too hard in any case, turn up the heat and work slowly. I've found I can get almost black that way. It doesn't work too well for large shaded areas though. Lots of tiny dots is better for shading large areas - different tip temperatures and variable spacing with the dots can get you an infinite variety of shades.

Incidentally, and I don't know if you have tried this, but for complex work on leather, I find drawing on paper, with a sheet of carbon paper underneath (the wrong way up) will give you a reverse impression in carbon ink. Place the paper on your leather and go over the paper with a warm iron. The heat will transfer the carbon ink from the back of the paper onto the leather. The pyrography tool will remove all traces of ink during the burning process. Just make sure the iron is cool so it doesn't shrivel the leather.

Eric

Gailainne

Life Member
Lindsay the detail on those hands is amazing, how fine is the tip on one of those gadgets ?

Next thought is, how to get one of your "superb sketches" on to a sheath without ruining it while dyeing it :bluThinki.

maybe an inset panel ? anybody got any ideas ?

Linz if you have any expensive courses you want to go on, I think you've found the cash cow to fund them mate, amazing work.

Stephen

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Next thought is, how to get one of your "superb sketches" on to a sheath without ruining it while dyeing it. Maybe an inset panel ? anybody got any ideas ?

The easiest way on a sheath is to mark it out flat, do the carbon paper image transfer, tool a border round the image, burn the image onto the leather, then, paint over the image up to the tooled border with masking fluid. Copydex will do at a push. Then dye it whatever colour you like. The copydex or masking fluid acts like a resist when it dries. Once you are finished with the dyeing, remove the masking fluid with a rubber. Because the image is burned onto the leather, the rubbing won't effect it. It's what I used to use for highlights when air brushing. It also works on veg tan. Then when that's done, sew up the sheath and wet mould as normal. Finally, a coat of neutral boot polish over the whole thing and a good buff with a soft brush and job's a good un.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
This is a guy called Brendan Power. He has developed a pedal power pyrography machine that means he can work outdoors without electricity. Just what I'm after except I can't find any details. That panel he's working on in the link above is currently going for 800 Euro. Here's his gallery. There's good money to be made if you have talent - and you've got it in spades Lindsey.

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Definitely "Goddess" ;)

Okay - Hows about a red squirrel with nice tufty ears in an oval? Suitabe for wearing as a jacket patch?

Price - you work out whats fair!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE