Getting hold of wood

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Does anybody know where I can buy (or order) Wooden panels made from birch or sycamore? I am after A4/A3/A2 size. Ive tried the local timberyard, the homebase the BnQ, they just dont sell real wood planks! Ive no idea where to look. I need them for pyrography, which Im currently obsessing about. If anybidy has some, Im willing to buy then :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wish you lived nearer since I can get hold of the stuff so easily. It's heavy though and that's a pain to post.

I do know that companies that sell blanks to woodturners also sell for pyrography though.
Craft Supplies in Millerdale, near Buxton was where I bought pieces years ago.

How about asking Eric ? It's just the sort of thing he might well know how to help with.

atb,
M

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Bit of a random thought here, I have a relative who is employed in "house clearance" and they often have old furnature or wall panelling or similar to dispose of, usually they don't have the facility to keep it for any length of time so either sell it fast and cheap or burn it....so if you take a look locally you should be able to find a firm or two advertising who may be worth approaching.....and they may even have access to many other materials a talented artist could use...

Hope that's helpfull

Smoggy.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
you could try one of then naf wooden floor shops and blag some free samples, not laminate but solid stuff
does it have to be birch or sycamore because our kid is well into woodwork but uses mainly ash oak and some other woods (cant remember name) he might have some bits lying around

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
I wish you lived nearer since I can get hold of the stuff so easily. It's heavy though and that's a pain to post.

I do know that companies that sell blanks to woodturners also sell for pyrography though.
Craft Supplies in Millerdale, near Buxton was where I bought pieces years ago.

How about asking Eric ? It's just the sort of thing he might well know how to help with.

atb,
M

oh ye ive been to millersdale with john and its a really cool shop:D

have you been mary ?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I can't really help with this one I'm afraid. Although I also like pyrography, I usually do small stuff on plates and spoons. I've found beech to be a good wood to work on. I can only suggest contacting a reputable timber merchant to see what they say. Other than that, ask Robin Wood. I know he has a chainsaw and if I remember correctly he may also have an alaska saw mill (chainsaw attachment for slicing planks off a tree). If I had one I'd be able to cut you a half inch slice right down the length of the trunk then cut it into panels. These could then be run through a planer/thicknesser to dress it ready for use.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
oh ye ive been to millersdale with john and its a really cool shop:D

have you been mary ?

Yeah :D about twenty years ago though :eek: I love rambling through the attic finding yet more stashes of blanks and chunks of timber :cool: I was buying for my Uncle who had said, "Och, just bring me what you find interesting :) ".......carte blanche :D :D . so I did.
They carry lots of little fixing and fittings too :approve: Ferules, compasses, glass, silver and brassware. Useful stuff.

atb,
M

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I might try the place in buxton , its fairly close by. Who thought it would be so difficult to source some wood!!
I could use plywood but as I was thinking of doing some pictures to sell to the public, I dont know if that might cheapen the appearance a bit.

Gailainne

Life Member
Just a thought Linz but what about local council, if they are felling anywhere near, ask then to tablet a Birch into 1-2" sections for you, if they do it at an angle you should get some nice oval shapes, oh natural may go down better with the punters as well :cool:

Only problem would be it would be green and prone to splitting, unless they have any dead standing.

Good luck, your box was brill, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers

Stephen

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got a couple places on an estate near to where I work that might be able to help you out Lindsey. Next time I've got a bit of time I'll stop off and do some asking around :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about bread boards/ chopping boards Lindsay ?
I'm still using a sycamore one my father made for me, and decorated with pyrography, when I got married over thirty years ago.
Ikea were selling plain boards recently, and come to think of it Lidl were selling a set of six oblong ones for a few pounds recently too.

Failing that, what about birch bark ? Good thick stuff is available through the net. I know I have some, and I'd happily send it..........when I can find it :eek:

cheers,
M

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Go to your local builders merchant and flooring suppliers, tell them you want to have a birch floor and would like to see some unfinished samples. they will supply samples about 6'' wide by upto about 15" long all planed, sanded and ready to go.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
How about bread boards/ chopping boards Lindsay ?
I'm still using a sycamore one my father made for me, and decorated with pyrography, when I got married over thirty years ago.
Ikea were selling plain boards recently, and come to think of it Lidl were selling a set of six oblong ones for a few pounds recently too.

Failing that, what about birch bark ? Good thick stuff is available through the net. I know I have some, and I'd happily send it..........when I can find it :eek:

cheers,
M

Can you pyrograph birch bark? thats a great idea. The public would go for that I think.
Im doing chopping boards as well, they burn lovely. Im concerned about the lastability though, and of haboring germs, Ive just pyrographed the bottom corner of one and the back of another, im not sure if I can do it all over or if it would require more scrubbing to get clean. Youve reminded me I bought some papyrus last christmas, I may be able to burn that. I think this stall will be more of a success, as I go to this show each year and see loads of c**p on sale for high prices. And this year they have moved it just down the road so I can cart my stuff in a wheel barrow:D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
got some birch and sycamore logs that could be split.

How thick do you want?

As close to a picture panel as possible :) I guess that depends on the width of the log than the thickness, as I dont need it to be more than 2 centimetres thickness. Would fresh would warp? I might be best seeing if I can buy treated wood first, but cheers anyhow.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
There's always veg tanned leather too. That burns lovely, and you can get it in as big sizes as you'll ever need.

Incidentally, I was looking at the Peter Childs pyrography machine. Don't look like there's much in the box for a hundred quid. So I was contemplating making one from scratch. Haven't come across PCB plans for one have you?

Eric

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Are you looking for "real" wood or could you use ply? Some model shops sell birch ply for model making. I have bought some 6mm birch ply, its about 300mm wide by 1200 mm long if I remember correctly and it's normally "aircraft" quality with pretty good surfaces. Hope that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE