Getting fitter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
What exercises are you doing with them? Just interested.

When I started with KB 12kg was my first, You soon gain strength and I got 16kg, and so on.

I still use the lighter KB for warming up, or sometimes in a pyramid fashion working up the weights and back down with a movement.

Kettlebells lend to slightly different movements to dumb bells.
Some KB exercises require leaning new techniques specific to KB really.
Two that come to mind first are the KB swing and the KB snatch.

I have used KB in a circuit type method with good effect. Pick four movements, work through them 30 seconds on, 15 seconds rest. Once completed all four have 1minute test. Repeat 3,4 or maybe 5 times. Work and rest times can vary depending on level of fitness.

Here’s a good website for similar https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/beginners-kettlebell-exercises-with-workouts/

As mention earlier I’m following a KB program from a book called Enter the kettlebell. The same author wrote Simple and sinister, which is a popular KB program. Really only involves swings and Turkish Get Ups with some progressive overload.
I’m boring and don’t mind these programs which are repetitive. Others prefer to KB flows, KB sport, or KB juggling!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm just getting over a recurring injury. Its not totally debilitating but enough to stop me from training. So its three more days of rehab before I get back into it. I've been ticking over with watching diet(ish) and walking the dog every evening for over an hour. Once my rehab is finished I'll be starting it nice and gentle. I have my ghetto gym in the garage, which consists of:

Spin bike
15kg sand bag
25kg sand bag
Olympic rings
Skipping rope
Olympic power bands
12.5kg hex dumbbells.

I can get everything covered with what I have. All of my fitness is geared around what is now fashionably called 'functional fitness', so it's a mix of hard and fast cardio on the spin bike, compound movements with weight (heavy weight low reps or light weight high reps), body weight exercises. I will always mix the tempo up. Some days very high tempo with light or bodyweight reps all the way through to heavy or as difficult as possible nice and slow.... here's the kinda things I do.....

High reps/low weight

5 Rounds For Time, no rest between rounds

10 pull ups
20 hanging leg raises
30 squats

Low Reps/Heavy weight

4 sets x 5 reps Handstand push ups
4 sets x 10 reps back squats

Or I may go for longer bike ride. I dont run long distance (by that I mean anything over 2km or it kills my hips and knees). Sometimes I'll just have a single exercise day, so my target will be say, 200 pull ups total in one day, which I'll break up into sets of whatever until I hit 200 for the day.

So yeah, i like to mix it up. Next gym purchase is a 45kg sand bag.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Just interested when you say , Sandbags , are you talking about a specific make/brand of Sandbag as I'm in the market for something that doesn't give up on me.

Link would be appreciated. Thanks,

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Just interested when you say , Sandbags , are you talking about a specific make/brand of Sandbag as I'm in the market for something that doesn't give up on me.

Link would be appreciated. Thanks,
These matey

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Been doing pe with Joe. Quite good fun. Getting a bit fitter/stronger.
My main exercise was the walk to and from work. About 5mile a day (that's in total)with an 8-9kg rucksack at 3.7-4.2mph walking speed.
I used to do the 5BX program a few years back but just got out of the habit.

Will need to keep this up once I get back to work

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good job, we're still doing Joe's PE, I like the way he's progressing it, it's a good start to the day.

Sounds like a good walk and that's a great pace Steve. Not heard of 5BX before, looks interesting and nicely straight forward goodjob

I was doing some work with my big petrol disc cutter yesterday, that felt like a workout as well :D

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I am missing my walk to and from work it must be said!

The 5bx thing is sort of a hiit program but dates back a long time. It's ok if you don't have YouTube handy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anything with kids is tiring! :) - grandchildren in my case.

Half an hour of quarterstaff and short stick and I'm beat - they just don't stop!

Broc, You're not supposed to be battering them into submission in a Little John Stylee!!!! :)

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Being fit is very important, especially at times like the present. I devised a way of getting into town without being stopped and fined or even arrested by the Police. Unfortunately it involved my mate who is over weight and very unfit..
We had to cross a field in which there was a Hereford Bull grazing.

My mate can't run very fast and I was at the back...so I've abandoned the idea...Stay fit folks....:laugh:

Reactions: Essexman and stevec

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Yes and no. Continued with yoga via zoom during lockdown, now back to classes and home practice by myself has progressed. Continued with kettlebells at home, no change really, following same program. Not returned to spin classes, can't face the idea of 20 odd people huffing and puffing in the same room, even if it does meet Covid rules at the sports centre.
I did start running a few weeks before lockdown started, used couch to 5K app (very good!), managed the first 5 weeks, but suffered migraines (don't think it was running related, more stress related) and haven't tried again.

Last edited:

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
Managed to stick with my running and still aiming to complete 2020 miles this year. Working from home has helped by not losing time to commuting back and forth to the office. We have also been doing work building a patio so plenty of heavy work there.

G
0952c95f337b51dd97fefd79ab773e87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE