German Army kip mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I use mine all the time. It's in my day pack and great for spreading out when I'm doing stuff outdoors. I've had mine for years and I used to use it as insulation on an airbed when camping before I got a downmat! Well worth a fiver but very uncomfy if used as an alternative to a thicker kipmat when dossing for the night.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have one.
The good thing about them is that they fold up and are therefore easier to get in your pack (personally, I don't like things strapped to the outside of my pack).
In truth, I think they are too thin to sleep on. But that doesn't bother me, because I use an inflatable hiker's mattress, and the German kip mats are perfect for putting underneath that to stop it getting punctured.
But I wouldn't sleep on just the mat itself - much too thin. But they're ideal as insulation against odd sticks and stones puncturing your mattress.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/flbkm1ux.html

there you are gents.

I found another place that does the british roll mat for £3 - though from experience they are quite big and a bit of a pain in the ****.

Andy

The trouble with the issue mat is the size, but you always get told to cut it down by about 6-8" on the side and a foot off the bottom. Then of course stores get onto you and bill you for vandalising their stock :lmao: Good mats though.

Cheers for the link on the german ones.

They've got some good stuff on there. Surprised they're still going after all these years aswell.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If theres plenty of leaf litter on the ground when sleeping in a bivi, the folding mat works just fine for me and is better packed away when back off walking.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I've got one, definitely worth a £5.
I sometimes use it as an extra layer in winter or on it's own in winter. They pack up small but are very thin.

PREPER........... :)

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
I have used one for years, Very thin but i fold it in half.

Its better than sleeping on the floor and slides down the back of your pack to stop that annoying thin you always carry digging in!!

You could always carry 2!

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
Be carefull when dealing with the surplus company advertising the matts in the link. I've found them to be obnoxious when I made a simple stock enquiry over the phone. I now view them in the same manor as 'Surplus & Misadventure'.

I think the German matts are very good though - I bought a couple of them from 'Johns Army Surplus' just outside Redhill a few years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE