german army gtex bivvy bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
for those who like to travel really light, I have found my bivvy bag to be amazing. I use it with a therma rest and sleeping bag and thats it! It keeps you nice and dry and draft free. It is also long enough to put your ruck sack in the end too. Does anyone else have one of these and if so what do you think of them. I persoanlly think they are way better than civvy versions and very cheap in comparision. My only gripe is the way they zip up. I would favour a zipper facing in so you can do it up when you are in your sleeping bag. other than that a great piece of kit.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
have you got any pictures...??

I have an Old british army Bivi, gortex, no zip, no frills... and i know not having a zip kind of makes it better for really bad weather, but I tend to use it with a tarp to keep the worst off, but it is a pain to get into...

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting

Aug 25, 2004
Australia
Only spent 1 night in a similar type - civilian. Was a cool night (for here - Australia) and got a fair amount of condensation on the inner wall, much as you would from a single wall tent in the cold, which is touching you so that's a draw back.
As a compromise you can get the hooped bivy's, which is like a mini-tent, still light and compact. l got a cheap one of those (and have slept 2 in it, although I and my girl of that time are thin). I've spent a couple of nights in that and it's better to have the space around you. That one has a mesh top so is better ventilated (removes condensation concerns), and an attached cover that rolls down over the mesh. It weighs 1.3kg, including a couple of pegs. Gives you more room and would cater for larger guys. There's plenty of those about now.

5.10leader

I have used bivi gags, gortex and other "breathable fabrics" on many occasions but have never found them to be condensation free. Using a Mountain Hardwear SL sleeping bag, my own preference is to use them as a ground sheet unless the weather is really bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE