Gerber vs. Gransfors Bruks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

namerchanger

Oct 18, 2005
I have used the gerber hatchets for a couple of years now and they work very well but the hatchet is still a bit heavy to pack, and I need to drop as much weight as I can in my kit. I keep seeing the gransfors bruks mentioned. How do they compare to the gerbers? I am looking at the Gransfor Bruks mini hatchet. Has anyone used it, and what do you think?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Gransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors BrucksGransfors Brucks

Check out www.gransfors.com

The Gransfors are very well made. The Vaughn which is another option splits better and is lighter - but either needs grinding or being bought ground from Bark River.
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/tinyhatchets.html
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/tinyhatchets2.html
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/vaughangrind.html

What it really comes down to is whether a person has faith in something so small, and no-one can predict that for you. They either end up being your #1 companion and security blanket, or a toy that sits on a shelf and that you fume over for being a waste of money. It's possible that a sharp well ground tiny hatchet will outchop a blunter Gerber Paxe - but in comparison to the longer version chopping times are going to be up to three times greater until you develop technique. Carrying a lightweight saw or saw blade to make up a saw is a good idea on camping trips - because you might need a lot of wood fast.
The whole rationale of these tiny tools is that they're small enough to be on you at all times. Some of us extend that into camping type situations.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
george said:
Sorry folks

The link should point to a search that I did on BCUK for Gransfors bruks - loads of info on this site over the years.

george

It did work just fine when you first put it up George....for some reason it doesn't work now :confused:

Bam. :)

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Only having a Gransfors Bruks (wildlife hatchet) I can't compare directly, but it's ... well, the only word is, lovely.

I find it a beautifully weighted tool, that just sits right and does all I've asked of it, plus I very much like the 'made' nature of them, not the manufactured nature ...
I've got complete trust in it, it feels like it'll last for years.

That said I do also have an anonymous mass-manufactured felling axe out of my local feeds and seeds place, which I'm also very fond of ... somewhat less lovely, but it also does it's job very well (I don't pack it tho', it's far too big and too heavy).

I'd have no trouble recommending GB on the basis of my experiences so far.

ColdIron

Jun 27, 2004
Odense, Denmark
Have both ('Gerber' in Fiskars edition)
Both works.
G/F costs 1/3 of GB.
G/F weighs 475g. GB 330g. (w/o sheaths)
G/F is for use/abuse. Its a tool.
GBis for use and love! It has sole.
Just love my GB (as I do my other GBs!).
I dont know which will stand most abuse.
Sorry, no final verdict.
Erik

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
The GB mini is too small IMO ,i changed mine for a Wildlife and im much happier with it.
Instead of a mini axe i'd get a Knivsmed Stromeng 9" Samekniv ,this will out chop a mini axe ,is a much more versatile tool and it's lighter.

433_3374_1.jpg

This is my Knivsmed Stromeng 9" Samekniv along side my GB Wildlife and my WS Micarta Woodlore.
If weight was an issue i'd be happy to trade both the Woody and the GB for the Knivsmed as it's capable of chopping and splitting logs yet equally capable of fine work like making fuzz sticks and food preparation.

rb

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'll second Rapid boys praise of the Knivsmed Stromeng 9" Samekniv. I've one too. and they're a good little tool. Splits wood nicely using a wooden baton you can split quite hefty chunks and very light.

would it chop through bone?

What sort of bone? There's lots of difference between splitting the ribs and splitting a backbone - and bigger animals have more massive bones.
I'm afraid that my experience with chopping wood with a leuko is that with hard wood, things come to a grinding halt almost right away. I use mine with a saw along.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have prepared rabbits with mine and it chopped through the legs no problem.

It can also be used like a machette to clear scrub which an axe can not do.

OldJimbo said:
What sort of bone? There's lots of difference between splitting the ribs and splitting a backbone - and bigger animals have more massive bones.
I'm afraid that my experience with chopping wood with a leuko is that with hard wood, things come to a grinding halt almost right away. I use mine with a saw along.
small game bone,sorry i should have myself clearer,you dont rate a leuko then?

You sure won't have any trouble with small game, or even deer. I'm guessing that there won't be any reindeer until the end of next month - but they're the prime butchering target.

I rate the leuko or leuku - I keep getting corrected and can never get it straight - as one of the most highly evolved and tested blades of all time. No I haven't found it to chop hard wood well, and batonning hard wood is time consuming too, with any knife. But no blade will do everything! You simply work around any shortcomings and treasure the strengths. A person would have to be pretty darned good with a hatchet to match the equivalent weight of leuko and saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE