Gerber Gator Jr.

Mar 23, 2011
Westcountry
Anyone have this machete/saw?

Thought it looked like a nice tool to have in the forest, though the grown-up full length one is really big, the Jr. looks like it suits my needs.

Any thoughts on this?

Mar 23, 2011
Westcountry
That's a monster of a knife, I don't think I personally would like to use one but I'm no expert so I'll let someone else with more knifey know-how answer the question.
Looks a little gimmicky if you ask me!

http://www.knifebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Gerber_Gator__Jr_Machete_with_Sheath___31-000082__.html

To be honest I dont really need the machete part as much as the saw part. A small axe tends to be more useful than a machete, I find, in our climate. Still, it seems a pretty good deal for what you get.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
To be honest I dont really need the machete part as much as the saw part. A small axe tends to be more useful than a machete, I find, in our climate. Still, it seems a pretty good deal for what you get.

I think it will be rubbish , Machete's tend to be for the Jungle environment for a reason of Function, not form.
If you want a good saw get yourself a Silky Pocket Boy , far mor functional and PROVEN.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/silky-silky-pocketboy-folding-saw-prod806548/

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I agree with TeeDee, Also I don't think I would like to be using a saw that had a nice sharp edge facing in my general direction either! Accident waiting to happen, machetes are bad enough without the saw on the back aswell!

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
They're actually OK to use.

Not great at anything, but pretty good for a lot.

I don't have one but a mate of mine bought one recently which I played with briefly.

Everything is a trade off with kit along these lines. The saw will be too flaky for some, too aggressive for others, too light, too heavy, too...

For the money they're a decent enough buy.

Not sure where or how they fit into the overall bushcraft picture though...

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have the full sized one, the saw is pretty good, though i dont really have a use for it because i have a folding saw... i bought it about a year before i joined on here, i wouldnt buy one now.
it would work fairly well in a jungle i suppose, i gave it a tough old beating on some 3"+ saplings and it survived despite the non-existent tang.
but when the zombies come, its nice and light, and the handle is big enough for a two handed grip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE