Gerber Axes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Just been mooching on the net looking at kit and i came across some axes by Gerber,now reading some posts on here i gather that the Gerber folding saws are well liked and rated but what about their axes.They do not seem too pricey,they have hollow fibreglass handles supposedly to help reduce the shock to the axes user.What are your opinions gentlemen.Thank you.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have the smaller pack axe. I also have the GB mini and small forest axe and I have to say that the gerber is well down the scale from them in both construction and performance in my opinion and for the money I'd go for the GNs every time.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I have a gerber axe and folding saw. I really like the saw but dont care too much for the axe. Used it to split some wood and the edge started to roll. now I'm using a old tomahawk that I have. I keep weighing the options of getting a GB axe>

hootchi

Settler
As I understand, but do not have, that the small forest axe made by www.gransfors.com is the best suited axe to bushcraft. (48cm, 0.68kg)

However there are various other axes made by www.wetterlings.com which is the secondary cheaper option, quality is almost as good. There are several axes of similar dimentions to the small forest axe, like the small hunting axe, large hunting axe, the woodshed and camping axe.

This review is extremely interesting so take the time to read it and i think it make shock some of you! :shock:
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=147#nb3

I am not sure which one is the best. Does any have any preferences? :?:

Thanks.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I have a GB SFA and have used a Wetterlings and I find them both to be competent cutting tools and I'd happily use either.

However, recently I've started to question the need for an axe in the UK ... I mean, how often do you want to fell a tree? I know that Kotchanski recommends axes and that we've seen Ray Mears on the telly using them but I wonder if that sort of cutting power is needed in the UK. I've been experimenting with billhooks from Woodland Organics (http://www.woodlandorganics.com/shop/edgedtools/billhooks/index.htm), in particular the Newton. These have a tremendous cutting edge and marvelous cutting power. They effortlessly cut through pretty much whatever you want them to do so and are really versatile. In fact, add a good edge to them and you have a very useful tool at your disposal that is also much lighter than an axe.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adi007 said:
However, recently I've started to question the need for an axe in the UK ... I mean, how often do you want to fell a tree? I know that Kotchanski recommends axes and that we've seen Ray Mears on the telly using them but I wonder if that sort of cutting power is needed in the UK.
My thoughts too. I think one will do good with a folding saw and a large knife/billhook. I've never tried a billhook, but I know Fiskars do one. We have a few people in here who use leuku's or have one. As Gary says this is not an essential tool, but it's very useful for some tasks (mostly camp-tasks).

It's also about minimizing the cutting tools one carry with him/her. (not everybody will agree on this, but some will perhaps) I can't imagine it being cool to take an axe, a folding saw, a billhook, a SAK, a fixed blade and a large knife on a trip. :roll: In that case I would go for a more versatile tool, for example carry a SAK as folder, a fixed blade as primary and then a chopper for heavy jobs (large knife, axe or billhook). Instead of a chopper, some may bring a folding saw as this minimizes the chance of a tree, getting infection (if a bough or branch is cut down).

I've been wondering my own setup for weeks now and been almost sleepless because of that. Too many cutting tools will mean too much weight and too little will mean not enough options :roll: )
But mine will be pretty much like this: a SAK as folder in the pocket. A fixed blade as primary working knife (i still need a decent one :cry: ), a folding saw for trimming down limbs and other stuff. In addition I may bring a leuku as camp knife, but that will depend on the trip and situation. :wink:

I still need a folding saw and a decent fixed blade. :roll: The reason for choosing a folding saw is because it minimizes the chances of the tree getting infection (as said) and offers better control and safety, compared to an axe. It's not very often I need to split a piece of wood, so an axe is not essential for me, (although I have one) and it's difficult to hit a bough properly with an axe. :)

Some thoughts. :pack:

Rod

On a new journey
I had a good look at them, but was not convinced and have just bought a small hunters from Woodland organics. I'm very pleased with it - it feels comfortable for me and the head/bit are comfortable for my needs. The advice I was given was that Gransfors & Wetterlings were on a par with each other and you get no difference in the performance of each - you just pay a bit more for a Gransfors.

I did a coppicing course last year and used a bill hook on that. They are pretty awesome. A bit scary at first and need you to take a confident approach - show it who's boss. The handle girth I found quite large and would customise to fit if I bought one for myself (having used one for 3+ hours my hands were getting tired). I feel more comfortable with a small axe as a general bushcraft tool. I appreciate that these are just what I have found works for me.

The coppicing course I did was a good chance to try out some woodland tools in a controlled environment with supervision/coaching by professional foresters. I did this through the local Wildlife Trust. The day cost me a £5 - which I thought was excellent.

cheers

leon-1

I have had one of the Fiskars 600's that was used in the test by OJ for a couple of years or more, I found that it was very easy to use and the shear weight of the head made it quite a powerfull cutting tool, I must admit that I have a GB and use that more (weight and balance I found better), but if someone handed me a Fiskars of this type I would not be dissapointed and for the price you would be hard pressed to get a better cutting tool.

It would be better to learn safe technique and practices with this than a GB or Wetterlings, also if you should trash this you haven't just thrown away £40 or more :wink:.

B

bombadil

Hehe...Nice one, Adi :eek:):
I love my GB, and have found it to be a wonderful luxury in this country, but I was using billhooks for years before I ever considered using an axe, this is the UK, we live on an island with 11.6% forest cover, and 69% of that is plantation.....
(Although I strongly recommend buying a GB axe, if only because they are craftsmen with a spot-on environmental philosophy..... :wink: )

Adi007 said:
I have a GB SFA and have used a Wetterlings and I find them both to be competent cutting tools and I'd happily use either.

However, recently I've started to question the need for an axe in the UK ... I mean, how often do you want to fell a tree? I know that Kotchanski recommends axes and that we've seen Ray Mears on the telly using them but I wonder if that sort of cutting power is needed in the UK. I've been experimenting with billhooks from Woodland Organics

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE