Geocaching on i-phone 4?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Started Geocaching with my daughter and following recommendations on here I got a couple of apps for my i-phone - geocaching and gpsmotionX. My question is 'how do you use it when out of phone signal'? or more to the point, can you?!?!?! They both seem to indicate that this can be done, by saving the map area to the memory to use later. I am a little bit of a techno-phobe to be honest and I realise this may be a stupid question! Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
Dolly Tub City, NW England
I'm pretty sure that you can't download bits of the map in advance - unless it's a facility that the app itself offers.
Also bear in mind that without a mobile phone signal, the iPhone may not be able to initialise the GPS from cold (cold start) - to save power/time it gets a rough fix from the cellular network and then gets the finer resolution from the sat signals. You'd need to check whether it's a case of 'won't do it', or of 'will do it but takes half an hour to get first fix' before you commit to relying on it for a GC trip.
Cheers
Og

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I found a cache on Saturday and I don't even play the game!
Hidden under some tree roots it was. I was tempted to put a spider in there.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
I don't know about Iphones but I know my blackberry can pick up GPS signal even when I don't even remotely have signal from my service provider and when it is using GPS it can download maps.

I don't really get geocaching, is it just an excuse and something to do while out and about?

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
Dolly Tub City, NW England
I don't know about Iphones but I know my blackberry can pick up GPS signal even when I don't even remotely have signal from my service provider and when it is using GPS it can download maps.

Steve - if there is no mobile signal, then there's no way you're downloading map segments... if the BB is displaying them, then they must have been cached on the phone.

I don't really get geocaching, is it just an excuse and something to do while out and about?
It's a bit like most other things you do while out and about... mostly an enjoyable waste of time, lol.
TBH, it probably gets a lot of folk out into the fresh air and countryside who otherwise wouldn't bother, particularly children, and takes them to places that they probably wouldn't otherwise visit.

Og

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE