Genius mousetrap

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've seen variations of this type of mousetrap before but this little moving Gif (which I hope loads and works) shows it best of all

l-219984.gif

And in closing a special message form to the inventor ... :notworthy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Is that your stockpot that's over Biker? Are you making ratatouille. Saves hunting them.

"You put Basil in the ratatouille?!"

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Is that your stockpot that's over Biker? Are you making ratatouille. Saves hunting them.

:lmao:

So simple and yet so effective, I will have to try this out The next time we get any of the little blighters around.

Atb

Craig

Biker

Nope, not my stock pot. I take the stick out of the bottle and use them for mouse kebabs over the open coals of the fire. Most of the fur comes off that way too.

Seriously though I'd seen this method used with a flap instead of a bottle and the bucket was empty for humane traps and half filled with water for a killer trap.... bit of a lingering death though.

One winter in my woodshed I nabbed over 60 mice in 3 months using conventional mousetraps. At least the foxes got some nibbles out of it.

Biker

Brilliantly simple and effective :) and it'd work for rats too probably :)

M

Gonna need a bigger bucket... and a liquidiser with pressure sensitive switch at the bottom. Have fun! :evilangel:

Something I read recently about rats infesting the Pacific islands the Americans were stationed on during WW2. One veteran said they would dig one really deep hole and put foodscraps into it and the rats would fall into the trap, if they kept it supplied with scraps and left it long enough the rats on the island would congregate there from the smell knowing there was free food and eventually fall in. Pretty soon most of the rats on the island would be in the hole.

Next the question was put to the trapper "So you just burned them then?"

He replied "No we stopped throwing in the food scraps and left them till they got so hungry they turned on each other and fed. Eventually we were left with two very big rats."

The question was put then "So then you killed those two?"

"No, we set them free, because now we had two rats that had learned to only eat other rats." The Rat infestation on these occupied island was soon solved.

Now I'm not so sure about the authenticity of the story. It does read a bit a bit gruesome and rather convenient, but I suppose it could work.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Gonna need a bigger bucket... and a liquidiser with pressure sensitive switch at the bottom. Have fun! :evilangel:

Something I read recently about rats infesting the Pacific islands the Americans were stationed on during WW2. One veteran said they would dig one really deep hole and put foodscraps into it and the rats would fall into the trap, if they kept it supplied with scraps and left it long enough the rats on the island would congregate there from the smell knowing there was free food and eventually fall in. Pretty soon most of the rats on the island would be in the hole.

Next the question was put to the trapper "So you just burned them then?"

He replied "No we stopped throwing in the food scraps and left them till they got so hungry they turned on each other and fed. Eventually we were left with two very big rats."

The question was put then "So then you killed those two?"

"No, we set them free, because now we had two rats that had learned to only eat other rats." The Rat infestation on these occupied island was soon solved.

Now I'm not so sure about the authenticity of the story. It does read a bit a bit gruesome and rather convenient, but I suppose it could work.

It may be true biker but it was also the explanation that Raoul Silva the baddie in the latest Bond movie Skyfall is giving for his history and back character.

Biker

It may be true biker but it was also the explanation that Raoul Silva the baddie in the latest Bond movie Skyfall is giving for his history and back character.

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa now that you mention it you're right. I wonder if one inspired the other? I only watched the first half of Skyfall and that was an online version and a raggedy one at that. Well remembered Colin.

I'm still thinking it's one of those can't believe it's true stories though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I only watched the first half of Skyfall and that was an online version and a raggedy one at that. Well remembered Colin.

Oh then you missed him leaving an electronic trail all the way up the A9 motorway to Glencoe! I'd like to see him try if you look at a map, the A9 and the A82 (Glencoe road) go in different directions. Plus he get's to locations in the wrong order. Good film though.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
There is one in one of the old keepering books I have that has a barrel half full of water, that you put in rollands jumping range leave a choice morsel of food out for him for a few days on a wooden board, after a little while replace the board with a sheet of news paper and wait till you hear the splash. Quite effective in places like houses, cellars and barns apparently.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My fave old trap/poachers trick is the grain, paper bag and treacle method. Put some grain out for the pheasant in a trail leading to said paper bag which has grain in the bottom (but also treacle smeared around the inside lip of the bag. Along comes the pheasant eating the grain trail, spies grain in bag, sticks his head in and the bag sticks around his neck/body. He sits down thinking it's night-time and you come along and clock him on the head. Pheasant for tea.

(Note - I in no way condone the use of such methods, they are for educational and entertainment purposes only. I can accept no liability if you're dumb enough to use these and get caught):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE