General Purpose Bushcrafting Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Using a knife to split wood will take a lot of time and effort. On your budget you could get a cheap hatchet and a knife with will pay you back by keeping your knife in good condition and your hands.

Use an axe for everything. If you really can't, then it's time to use your knife.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm sure some may differ from my opinion but I'd get a trusty legal carry folder, for years when I first started that was all I carried and I'd say it made me learn a lot more skills and have to think a lot more about how to do things, I still carry one now and it does most things I need, if you can do it with a small folder you can use most things!

Bleedin' eck, that was fast!!! :lmao:

Thankyou so much everyone for your advice, I wasn't sure whether to trust the cheaper blades but you've set my mind at ease! :) Great comments, really helps me with my choice...it's a bit daunting when there are so many makers/styles etc - I'm the awkward git that can't choose anything lol! :)

(oops, wrote this earlier but forgot to hit send...headdesk

Great advice vizsla, I've got a British Army Nato issue simple folder which is my trusty legal knife, I've had it for 15 years - got it as a gift from my uncle(who was in REME at the time) when I was a cadet in the ACF (was totally Army barmy at that point lol!) and it's never let me down. Could probably do with being sharpened but is still cuts well :)
I'd just like to get a fixed blade as a heavy duty worker :)

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
As someone said above, get a Hultafors trekking axe (around £20 on eBay) and a Mora (around £10) and still have change?

I honestly can't thank everyone enough for their comments and advice - I was really struggling to know what makes were reliable and I'd read a few unfavourable things about the Moras - on hindsight I think they were by people that had moved away from the basic onto custom knives.

Wellllll, looks like the choice has been whittled down to the Mora Companion heavy duty & the Condor Kephart - as my name suggests I'm wee & have wee hands lol, so the weight of the Mora might just win it over for me :)

Of course that leaves me with more of my budget available so you know what my next question is going to be - can you recommend a good quality hand axe? :)

Many, many thanks again!

~WWC~

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I honestly can't thank everyone enough for their comments and advice - I was really struggling to know what makes were reliable and I'd read a few unfavourable things about the Moras - on hindsight I think they were by people that had moved away from the basic onto custom knives.

Wellllll, looks like the choice has been whittled down to the Mora Companion heavy duty & the Condor Kephart - as my name suggests I'm wee & have wee hands lol, so the weight of the Mora might just win it over for me :)

Of course that leaves me with more of my budget available so you know what my next question is going to be - can you recommend a good quality hand axe? :)

Many, many thanks again!

~WWC~

As for an axe bud get along to some Car Boot sales you will be supprised what you can pick up :), and as far as people moving on to custom knives... loads of those come back to Moras and regulary use them, I know quite a few guys that spend a few hundred of their beer tokens, then come back to the Gold old trusty Mora :)....I do wonder if the bad reviews are just bad press due to the price tag.. as you can see here loads swear by the Mora/hultafor knives :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you get lucky you can find gransfors bruks axes or wetterlings at car boot sales :) I paid £5 for a wetterlings 2lb axe that needed a new helve and £15 for a gb wildlife hatchet with a stainless kelly kettle

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,

As we're neighbours (almost) I could drop you a couple of knives to try, I've one in mind that's good for small hands (you said you were wee!). Give me a shout if you want to try some.

On the Axe front mate and I use the Husqvarna hatchets LINK, nice and not to heavy or pricey, take a great edge and pretty darn good all round I say.

ATB,
GB.

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
Just another vote for mora here. It was my first knife and is still going strong.

As for hultafors axes I have the medium trekking axe and find that it is perfect for general camp use, it takes a great edge.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
Someone should make a sticky thread reading "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ABOUT WANTING A BUSHCRAFT KNIFE OR AXE" that would contain a continuously updated list of knives and axes people should look at.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That would spoil the fun though. We love giving advice about knives.:)

Yup as Mr Kelly says, a guaranteed way to start a thread with a high post count is to ask a bunch of BCUK'ers " What shiny sharp thing is best?" We crawl out of the woodwork and squabble like kids;). Still always fun and the Moras seem to win by numbers these days.
It is fun.

Wellll, thanks to everyone on here, I've decided to take the plunge & have ordered a Mora Heavy Duty Companion, a Fallkniven DC3/DC4 set of whetstones, and a Super Knives rust removing stone thingy for my dad's knives :) - just have to find something to pass the time till they arrive now!! Excitedmuch.com!

Hehe GoatBoy, thankyou so much for your kind offer, at the price of the Mora, if I go wrong it's no biggie, but I wouldn't want to mess up someone else's blade! Much appreciated though, wouldn't mind getting together to learn a few tips in it's usage though? :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE