Gene Ingram

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just got this and im delighted with it.
My previous GI's have been in D2 , this one is S30V.

This is a style of sheath i have wanted to try making for ages.

DSC00096-1.jpg

I never had an opportunity to make one before but this lovely little # 7 with stabilised spalted maple burr handle and mosaic pins just seemed right for this sort of carry.

DSC00098-1.jpg

A lot of work compared to a regular plain pouch sheath but i have been wearing it for a couple of days nows and it's very comfortable and discrete, I'm pretty sold on the idea.

DSC00107-1.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Gene's knives are always great.
To be honest i like the micarta scaled ones better to use but the wooden scales look so much better.
This is a great size, im a big fan of small fixed blades.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a great looging rig RB.

Pardon my naievety, but what are the "sticky out bits" for? Are they attachment points for the belt loop?

red

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I absolutely love that sheath.

I like to carry them horizontaly and my only knife with a stock sheath that can be worn that way is my victorinox multi tool (nothing compared to a beautiful leather sheath. It's brilliant as long as the knife is not much longer than 8 inches otherwise it gets a bit uncomfortable IMHO.

Great piece of work ! :cool:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I absolutely love that sheath.

I like to carry them horizontaly and my only knife with a stock sheath that can be worn that way is my victorinox multi tool (nothing compared to a beautiful leather sheath. It's brilliant as long as the knife is not much longer than 8 inches otherwise it gets a bit uncomfortable IMHO.

Great piece of work ! :cool:

The # 7 is 7" overall and it's about as long as i'd want to carry this way, as you say anything longer woule be impractical.

I have another GI, think it's a # 30 which is 8" OA and i think it would be too long

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Great looking sheath (and knife too). I've had a couple of GIs in the past and his craftsmanship is first rate, I'd say he is one of the best makers out there.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That explains it RB cheers!

I wonder if it would work (as in be comfortable) in the small of your back (clearly it would need to be the other way around). That would make a nicley discrete carry option

Red

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I was thinking the same thing Red but im not sure how it would be viewed if you happened to be stopped and searched by the police, discrete carry is one thing but concealed might be viewed differently.
Behind your back is not handy for resheathing it either

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
That explains it RB cheers!

I wonder if it would work (as in be comfortable) in the small of your back (clearly it would need to be the other way around). That would make a nicley discrete carry option

Red

Personaly, I wear my victorinox in the back on the right side, that way you can flex, bow, kneel without it sticking in your belly.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's beautifully made, both the sheath and knife... I like the "strippy" look of the sheath, lovely shape.

I know we all worry about being searched and found out to carry knives. Are we being paranoid?? Has anyone on this forum actually been searched, let alone convicted? I am 55 or thereabout :D and I have never ever been stopped by the police either here or in France.

Perhaps we should have a poll to find out the truth, maybe that would allay our worries. Anyone want to start one? I don't know how:eek:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I think there is a grey area between being discreet about having a knife on your person and having a concealed knife. I suspect that's the concern with most people.

Certainly, there is no legal issue with taking a knife to and from ligitimate use an if there was a wooded area at the end of the highsteet, there's no reason you shouldn't walk down it carrying your knife too and from that area.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I carry locking folders and fixed blades regularly, i have worn them into police stations because i forgot to remove them and only ever had a problem once when i was in ASDA, i explained i had been out hunting and he was fine.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I carry locking folders and fixed blades regularly, i have worn them into police stations because i forgot to remove them and only ever had a problem once when i was in ASDA, i explained i had been out hunting and he was fine.

Yeah RB ive heard that the meat in ASDA is REALLY FRESH lol!! :D

Great looking rig by the way health to enjoy mate!!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Gene normally works in D2 IIRC.

I have to admit that all the GI 's i have owned have came sharper than any of my other knives, they take an amazing edge.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Couldn't find these pics before but this is what i was thinking about when i mentioned concealed carry rather than discrete carry.

These are worn around the wrist and look like a watch strap at a glance.

454_5406_1.jpg

454_5411_1.jpg

455_5555_1.jpg

455_5554_1.jpg

I really enjoyed making these but i just hope they are never carried.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE