GB axe with slight curve on cutting edge.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I have a GB wildlife hatchet and have noticed that the cutting edge has a very slight curve, perhaps as little as 2mm is this anything to be concerned about, will it affect the cutting in any way as I said it is very slight but it just bugs me, would it be worth grinding out, or just ignore it and get on with the job.?.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
In the middle, it's just a wee bit bowed in the centre to one side, a bit like this ) top to bottom.
I can see it looking down the cutting edge but if I put the strait edge of ruler along the cutting edge it is more noticeable in the middle. It isn’t real bad as I said it just bugs me. For the cash you just expect a GB to get it right.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My GB hatchet is also curved.I think this is how they are supposed to be isn't it?
The Carpenter is straight but the others all seem to curve more or less.
Cheers , Simon

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I might be reading this completely wrong, but aren't axes meant to be like that?
They have a slight curve to the blade.
gransfors-bruks-wildlife-hatchet-73-p.jpg

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
A picture would be good, as we are all struggling to picture what you mean.

I have a GB wildlife hatchet and have noticed that the cutting edge has a very slight curve, perhaps as little as 2mm is this anything to be concerned about, will it affect the cutting in any way as I said it is very slight but it just bugs me, would it be worth grinding out, or just ignore it and get on with the job.?.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I had one that seemed to bow a little when you looked down the edge, it seemed to deflect more when carving or cutting at a a shallow angle. I got rid. :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Aye sorry dudes, I’m not normally this thick but It’s not the easiest thing to explain on line but, Looking straight on at the cutting edge, with the poll furthest away. I think Bare Thrills has it a “bevel” I’ll try and work it out Southey way.
I will try a picture but it may be very hard to see in an image.
Cheers Guy's

Last edited:
A proper expert will be along in a minute to explain, but in the meantime.... as I understand it, Axes are supposed to have a convex edge. So if you point head towards you, and handle away, and look along the edge there should be a slightly rounded profile to the bevel. This is because it.s much stronger than a flat Scandi grind for chopping.
Theres a really good illustrated axe sharpening tutorial on here somewhere that explains it much better

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I understand 21cp.

Gents, I believe what is being said does not refer to the curve heel to toe on the bit, nor to the convex grind but that the line of the bit is off true

axepartssu2.jpg

A: Heel of Head
B: Bit
C: Toe of Head
D: Cheek or Ramp
E: Poll
F: Neck
G: Belly
H: Shoulder
I: Toe of Haft
J: Heel of Haft
K: Eye
L: Wooden Wedge
M: Metal Wedge

I assume if you looked along the bit from A to C that the center of the cutting bit (B) is not in a straight line but off to one side?

If so this is not ideal but not an enormous deviation. Sharpening can corrct this by sharpening only from the side that the cutting edge veres off towards. Its common in poorly sharpened axes as when holding an axe for sharpening one side is more comfortable to sharpen than the other - this can cause the centre line to diverge from true - of course it may have just been set up badly!

If its not affecting it in use, just correct by sharpening.

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
My guess is that if he cuts into a piece of wood then takes it out again, the mark left wouldn't be a straight line but curved like a bracket -> )

yeah thats how i read it too, i wouldnt imagine it would cause any problem if its grinding on you though just grind it out it may take some time but if its nagging on you. id probably just forget it to be honest if it cuts fine then its all good.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
It good fun re-profiling an axe with a file, I say read up on how to do it and then get stuck in with a file and try to get it as you want it .:)
If you don't I recon it will just niggle at you mate, although if it is the first time you have taken a file to your axe I understand that it can be a bit of a nervous experience but at the end of the day it how we learn

I read a good article online by Red about axe sharpening a while ago, will see if i can find it for you

EDIT: Here you go http://equipment.ludlowsurvivors.com/axesharp.html

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi dude’s
I tried to get some pictures but the curve doesn’t show up very well in a image.

When I got home last night I tried putting a straight edge on one side of the axe (the Cheek or Ramp)
and guess what it’s not only is the cutting edge, the axe blade is curved, still very hard to see in the image.
The blade has a hollow on one cheek and a dome on the other.
I did a quick sketched and hope this will help clear things up a bit. exaggerated but axe up against imaginary ruler.

Ps STEW knew what I meant, Aye mate spot on curved, a bit like a rounded ADZE.
PPs sorry about the blonde description last night D’OH!...
Cheers dude's....

Yours truly most "NAGGED" and “NIGGLED”....

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When it gets to the point where you can hit something with an axe to better than 2mm accuracy then start to worry, till then err....

If it really bothers you its not hard to take a file to them but if it were me I'd most likely just wait till it needs sharpening and do more of the work on the side with the bump..

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers DEMOGRAPHIC
Hi bro I would just wait till the edge needs a touch up and go for it a bit at a time.
As Craig88 said "just forget it to be honest if it cuts fine then its all good"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE