Gathering wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beasty

Dec 28, 2010
Swansea
Had a small search but couldn't find much.
Id like some wood for carving spoons, am i able to just cut a branch or 2 in the woods with a small saw or is there a better way to get decent wood?

sorry if this is an utterly stupid question but I'm new to the whole outside thing :p

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi you could just ask a local land owner or contact a local tree surgeon for some off cuts.

nenook

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
give a few local tree surgeons or landscapers a call,...

best for me tho is discovering a pile of cut and left branches, if left in the right conditions, the spalting patterns in some of these bits make for some interesting pieces

hope this helps..

Stu

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Didint think you can collect any wood without the land owner's permission. I have a small wood of 7.5 acres, visited today and there are a number of branches from the Scots Pine that have fallen under the weight of the snow. I'm going up there next weekend with my chainsaw to take the wood for my wood burner - I would be well annoyed if someone had helped themselves!!!

Also whilst walking through, someone had actually cut a small Scots Pine down - think they may have thought it was a good free xmas tree - it really annoys me that people think that they can steal from the landowner (Nenook - I'm not having a go here, please dont take it that way, but as a landowner I own the wood whether it is wind fall, chopped down or otherwise)

Last edited:

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
I would ask a local Tree Surgeon or Forester if they have some off cuts you can have... thats if it does'nt go through the chipper first !

Or ask a local land owner if you can take some. i would never just take with out asking..trespass and criminal damage come to mind and wind fallen trees still belong to the land owner!

beasty

Dec 28, 2010
Swansea
Thanks again guys, especially Big_bazza99 for making it so clear, ill be getting wood from tree surgeons and the like.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hey up big bazza , I dont think youre having a go , I did put on an earlier thread to contact local landowner etc , maybe i should have explained better , a local park not private land such as yours .

nenook

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Please don't cut living trees. There should be plenty of dead wood for you to gather without having to go to green wood :)

Absolutely agree - some muppet who has come on my wood has helped themselves to a small Scots Pine - not just damaging the environment but theft! Hope they had a good Christmas and New Year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE