Gas cannister adapters and accessories

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
If this is in the wrong forum I will try to move it.

The 227 gram butane canisters have lots of adapters and other bits and bobs, I can understand what some of them do but others ????

This link shows some of the gizmos, sorry but you have view them from the menu alongside 'Model:'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-acc...-/121346997535?ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

Anybody have a link or reference that explains what all these gizmos do?

I would have posted pictures but it seems I am not allowed:confused:, how do I get permission?

Thanks,
rorymax

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.
You won't be allowed to post photos, etc., until you have a number of posts.
All newbies are moderator approved to help cut down on spammers.

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Anybody have a link or reference that explains what all these gizmos do? ...

Firstly: Welcome to BCUK!

Secondly, if it's about gas sold in canisters I'm definitely not your best source of information (somebody more knowledgeable will be along in time, especially if I'm wrong) but having said that, if you don't know what the parts do it might be because you don't need them for the gear that you have. A lot of these things are supplied with a selection of parts to fit various different models from different manufacturers, and you aren't expected to use all of them.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Hi ged,

I understand what you say, as I mentioned I understand some of the various adapters and associated accessories, I have been able to bring greater versatility to the fuel canister types I can use with my more recent stove purchase.

I am hopefully about to give a new lease of life to my old Campinggaz Globetrotter stove using these types of connectors, the GT106 canisters having been discontinued many moons ago, I hope I'm not speaking too soon as the parts have not arrived yet :rolleyes:

What I am finding is that the more I learn about these items a new range of possibilities opens up and options that were hitherto unavailable become a reality.

Oh, and thanks for the explanation Toddy, makes sense.
rorymax

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... What I am finding is that the more I learn about these items a new range of possibilities opens up and options that were hitherto unavailable become a reality. ...

If you can't find exactly what you want without stringing a load of adapters together, there are people around who will make a special one for maybe a couple of beers.
Before going that route though, if you haven't already it might be worth spending some quality time looking at suppliers of plumbing fittings on the Internet.

Oh - I forgot to say - I'm sure 'Kit Chatter' is fine for this thread, and in any case the moderators here tend to stay fairly relaxed until we start throwing the toys around. :)

You won't be allowed to post photos, etc., until you have a number of posts.
All newbies are moderator approved to help cut down on spammers.

Mary, I thought it was an automatic thing. Do you have to approve all new subscribers manually?!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
my favourite one is the small piece of tube pushed into the a4 cartridge adapter so you can carry cigarette lighter gas. 100g of gas and a 50g cartridge more than makes up for the weight of the adapter, furthermore lighter gas is avaliable EVERYWHERE. Just use the tube nosslefrom an empty tin and get it to the right length and glue. Onlu use them with liquid feed stoves though

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
my favourite one is the small piece of tube pushed into the a4 cartridge adapter so you can carry cigarette lighter gas.
Just use the tube nosslefrom an empty tin and get it to the right length and glue.

Hi petrochemicals,

Could you explain that or do you have a link to a thread that has already covered this, a picture would be great.
You can tell there is a noob here :confused:

Thanks,
rorymax

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi ged,

I understand what you say, as I mentioned I understand some of the various adapters and associated accessories, I have been able to bring greater versatility to the fuel canister types I can use with my more recent stove purchase.

I am hopefully about to give a new lease of life to my old Campinggaz Globetrotter stove using these types of connectors, the GT106 canisters having been discontinued many moons ago, I hope I'm not speaking too soon as the parts have not arrived yet :rolleyes:

What I am finding is that the more I learn about these items a new range of possibilities opens up and options that were hitherto unavailable become a reality.

Oh, and thanks for the explanation Toddy, makes sense.
rorymax

There are workarounds, go and join www.spiritburner.com where its been discussed in some detail. Join and ask, overall they are a good bunch and will help set you on the right road. Paraffin/naptha/alcohol stoves are my speciality so I won't offer you help here chap.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Here are some photos.running on refill.jpgtrial error tube.jpgcannisters.jpg

As you can see the canisters are the same except the nozzle. I prefer the a4 cartridge as it has a pick up tube but cigarette lighter gas is everywhere. Cut the nossle off an empty can and using a bit of trial and error, get it to the right size very slowly, by wedging it into the adapter and trying it with a full cannister. 110g cannister weighs 55g so you loose weight and the adapter isn't anything extra

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Here are some photos.View attachment 31056View attachment 31057View attachment 31058

As you can see the canisters are the same except the nozzle. I prefer the a4 cartridge as it has a pick up tube but cigarette lighter gas is everywhere. Cut the nossle off an empty can and using a bit of trial and error, get it to the right size very slowly, by wedging it into the adapter and trying it with a full cannister. 110g cannister weighs 55g so you loose weight and the adapter isn't anything extra

Hi petrochemicals,

Thanks for taking the time to post this, I really appreciate it.

I can see that the cigarette lighter canister is different from the notched canister, is there a specific adapter for cigarette lighter canisters? if so what is it called and where can I get them.

I may well have got this all wrong, please forgive me for being so dumb, I am really just finding my way with the various options and adaptations. :confused:

Thank you and regards,
rorymax

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rory, don't start messing about with gas unless you know what your doing, please, pretty please keep safe. Did you join spiritburner and ask about your globetrotter problem?

Also remember butane is a complete waste of time in cooler weather, it simply won't work when the temp is down to @+5c and it can be that on a cool summer morning.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Rory, don't start messing about with gas unless you know what your doing, please, pretty please keep safe. Did you join spiritburner and ask about your globetrotter problem?

Also remember butane is a complete waste of time in cooler weather, it simply won't work when the temp is down to @+5c and it can be that on a cool summer morning.

Hi petrochemicals,

Thanks for taking the time to post this, I really appreciate it.

I can see that the cigarette lighter canister is different from the notched canister, is there a specific adapter for cigarette lighter canisters? if so what is it called and where can I get them.

I may well have got this all wrong, please forgive me for being so dumb, I am really just finding my way with the various options and adaptations. :confused:

Thank you and regards,
rorymax

Rik is right, liquid butane in sub zero is "enlightening". This adapter is only for liquid feed ideally, although you can run upright stoves off them, they are really unsteady. Unless the stove is designed for the specific cannister, and it's not a liquid feed, DON'T DO IT.

The only difference in these cannisters is the A4 cartridge has a metal collar and a notch indicating a pick up tube, and the cigarette gas has a longer thinner nozzle. The shape of the neck of the cannister is the same. I would not advise using either on a stove that was not designed for the cannister, unless it was a liquid feed stove. These are my personal views and decisions and do not represent anyone any website or any organisation or manufacturer in any way at all.

Your not being dumb, it's a very dangerous thing, liquid gas. I have never seen an adapter that specifically designates refill gas although Rodger caffin made a liquid feeed stove that takes A4 Lindal valve refill gas and camping gas, and there are specific cannisters for all stoves. The greatest advantage of cigarette lighter refill, or a4 cartridges is that they are widespread, along with Lindal valve diy cartridges, but you have to have a liquid feeed stove.

Last edited:

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Re your link--
A = ? to screw stove
B = A4 to pipe?
C = A4 to screw stove
D = Gaz twister to screw stove (head or remote pipe)

The Globetrotter used pierced cartridges , you might be able to change its legs for longer ones and use the larger cartridge. Something I was going to try as I have a couple of these stoves.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland

Hi rik_uk3

Yes I joined spirit burner and received a great response, what I was trying to do had already (of course) been done, and I picked up more tips as well.

I will take your advice about keeping safe, I'm not really that reckless but take your point, I will learn to walk before attempting to run :).

Appreciate your advice.

rorymax

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
To petrochemicals and Birchwood,

OK, I will pause for a while and try to fully understand what you are both giving information on, I need to know the implications as you rightly say.

Thanks for your help and patience, little by little I hope to gain more knowledge, hope you can put up with more questions.

Thanks guys goodjob

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE