Garberg?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Kind of like this one, it nice and simple like most mora's but a bit more solid a creature than the 2000 and kansbol, I know the price is a bit high at around the £80 mark but it could last a life time, I know I can make something just like it but I work in carbon steel and wood and like to buy knifes made with things I don't work with, so how do you all rate it if you were not put off on price, what in your thinking makes it a poor or good knife?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I recently handled and used one briefly and it was comfortable, robust and seemed well thought out. If you like full-tang, stainless scandi knives it is a solid option that is probably worth the price. Mora kind of shot themselves in the foot with the pricing of their low-end knives making it hard to break into the high-end market. I think if it had a fallkniven badge on it it would probably command over 100.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Last a lifetime? Nooooooo, we need more..more...more!

Mota have not shot them selves in the foot, as they hsve been making knives for over a century, merged to todays company Morakniv. A good, solid company I would not hesitate to buy stock in.

They produce a huge number of blades each year. Evey single one sells. Every household have a handful, every tradesman has one on his belt.

They do not need to make expensive knives. They rather sell 1000 cheaply than 1 expensively.

I will have a look on the Garberg early next year, and compare between it and a Fällkniven.

I do not think you can get a same quality knife for the sane price, even if you go Chinese.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Thanks for the comments so far, and thanks hibrion nice to get input from someone that's had some use of one, as for the price my thinking it's high, due to mora knowing its not going to be a high production run and from my time in a press shop this will effect price a lot, and the number of stages in production to complete one unit, it can be hugely expensive and a big gamble not knowing how many will sell and at around the 70-80 mark its about right, its just hard for a company that made a name in fair quality mass units to make a high end range that people are willing to dig a bit deeper for, if its quality then that wont come cheap but it will gratify and last.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think the pricing is because of the modern steel used and the need for new machinery to produce the knife. It does look good, but not at Fallkniven prices. I think the knife is also aimed at americans, and they'll happily buy expensive stuff when it's endorsed by fellow americans i.e Dave Canterbury!

Having owned a fallkniven f1 , I cannot honestly say that it's worth the price tag either. VG10 steel is far too brittle for the 'survival' type knife it's being sold and advertised as. Undoubtably better fit and finish than the garberg though, just read the reviews on HH, quite a few people aren't pleased with it for the price.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If i still had an F1 i'd happily swap it for a garberg to be sure.....Honestly i trust mora to provide a decent knife more than i do fjallkniven

HunterX9

Sep 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
I own a garberg with the multisheath. It’s definitely a well made knife like all Moras but that full tang does add to the sturdiness of the blade. It is expensive but I justified it as one of those but once cry once types of purchases. I highly recommend it.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
One of these would be my choice over the mora, which looks like a fine knife, but these are every bit as good, possibly better in a number of respects, and amazing value at the price.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-carbon-steel/56524

Plenty of reviews on utube, some comparing them to the mora and very much in favour of this one.

Out of stock at present but regularly get more in as they are produced in small batches, they also have a stainless version.

Not a pretty knife but a really good, solid, no nonsense working tool, very impressed with mine picked up recently and also the skrama that I was using in the woods for a few days last week, impressive tools.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
Those Varusteleka Puukos have dropped in price by quite a bit, the last time I checked they were about £69, even at that price they were always very popular hence out of stock.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Those Finnish knifes seems to be excellent too.
I would not think they are better than the Garberg, but basically equal. The Stainless steel they use is apoarently difficult to get very sharp, if you care about those things.

I am yet to try one.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Well thanks all, I think I was wanting to get one anyhow, but a man is always wiser from the council of others, I don't see a review here on them is it worth me putting something forward?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE