Gap Year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
So i finish my college course june 2007, and have been planning to work for 6 months and go away to either Australia, New Zealand or Africa in 2008. I was thinking of either just travelling around, or in Africa help build school and churches and things (althought this would be one of the most expensive options)

I was sitting reading the forums today and had a thought....are there any courses anywhere on the globe that offer bushcraft courses for a few months of even a year? :confused:

Cheers, Bunn

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Bunnerz most schools will do basic and advanced courses. if you have the time you could do as many courses as possible. i think that some of the longer type courses are based on distance learning or periods of attendance over a year or so. All the places you mention are great to visit. Good luck on any trip you decide.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Bunnerz, check out World Challenge (google) sounds like this may be ideal for what you want.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Frankly I wasn't impressed with the 2 day Jungle Leader programme that World Challenge offers as described in their website especially as it was held in the UK!

If you are keen on bushcraft as opposed to just going with a group on a GAP "challenge" you could do a proper bushcraft course by a bushcraft school in the UK before you go. The woodland skills you learn will be relevant to most environments you are likely to go to whether Oz, Africa or NZ.

If you then enrol in bushcraft courses in those countries you will be able to compare what you have learned there with what you already know and deepen your understanding of bushcraft.

If I had the time I'd love to travel and do such courses around the world. It would definately be cheaper than doing a GAP programme. If you go to OZ you could earn the money for your course while working there.

Once you have done one and if you are keen ask if you could help out as an intern on subsequent courses. I have met young people doing just that in Australia. Even if you just get fed not paid the expereince will be valuable. Helping doing the camp logistics and set up will steepen your learning curve a lot.

Recently I was the logistician (i.e. unpaid cook, rubbish packer outer, supply porter, early morning fire starter, water collector and purifier, trash burier) on a bushcraft course. It was great fun - while others were off learning bush skills, I was really living in the jungle.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
frankly World Challenge offers 5 week long expeditions to places all over the world - I know several people who been to places such as Borneo and Kenya with them and say they had the time of their lives. The 2 day course you described is probably something to do with initial training the leader undergoes before setting out.

BOD

Hi ScottC,

I wasn't having a go at the expeditions.

The "jungle course " was supposedly for "Leaders and School Leaders" - but 2 days??

Bunnerz seemed to want to go for bushcraft and I didn't see any bushcraft on offer on their site and I availed myself of the search function. I may be quite wrong of course. I'd like to see BC GAP expeditions as I think it would teach more especially if there were ones where you lived with Kalahari bushmen, Amazonian Indians or South East Asian Hill tribes

The type of stuff WC do is fun and exposes them to experiences thay may never have had otherwise and I am all for it.

No offence intended.

You with WCE by any chance?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have been involved with a couple of first aid courses for people planning to be leaders for World Challenge. all have had at least Mountain leader summer and 16 hours remote first aid and most had spent extensive time in country prior to going with WC. I have not worked for WC but think they run so good programs.

Another expedition company that I do work with is Adventure Lifesigns. I have yet to do an exped with them as I havent bothered to get my ML. I used to be too busy doing skills courses to worry about getting tickets.
Oh the foolishness of youth.

If you can get ML summer trained and are enhanced CRB check with a few skills you maybe able to offer your services as an assistant on a trip. Bear in mind most assistants are unpaid postions. Although the costs are met. Also there are plenty of young men wanting to do adventure travel. Women on the other hand are more difficult to come by. So ladies if you fancy an extended trip it might be an idea to contact one of the many Expedition providers like World Challenge and see they need some extra help.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
BOD said:
Hi ScottC,

I wasn't having a go at the expeditions.

The "jungle course " was supposedly for "Leaders and School Leaders" - but 2 days??

Bunnerz seemed to want to go for bushcraft and I didn't see any bushcraft on offer on their site and I availed myself of the search function. I may be quite wrong of course. I'd like to see BC GAP expeditions as I think it would teach more especially if there were ones where you lived with Kalahari bushmen, Amazonian Indians or South East Asian Hill tribes

The type of stuff WC do is fun and exposes them to experiences thay may never have had otherwise and I am all for it.

No offence intended.

You with WCE by any chance?

Hi BOD mate, I see my last post came across a bit confrontational sorry about that.

I see what you mean about bushcraft style expeditions and totally agree there. To be honest I think the best thing bunnerz could do is arrange to meet some of the natives who live by bushcraft every day, the bedouin of the sahara, bushmen of the kalahari, penan, sami etc. just like what you see mearsy doing in hisBushcraft Survival programmes. This is what I am planning to do myself one day and it would cost only the ticket out there and the expenses you incur whilst there.

I know a few people here have done stuff like this, also Mike Rushton of tamarackbushcraft.co.uk visits the Hadza of Tanzania quite reguarly and may be able to give some advice, so it may be worth posting another thread on how to go about arranging it, I'm sure you'd find a fair few others up for it too.

Don't work for WC, but I am thinking of going to the Amazon in 2008 with them, would cost £3500 grand though! :eek:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I wonder about the ethics of turning up and living with the natives as some sort of outdoor relief for the middle classes.

These people are not some freak show for wealthy pampered brits to gawp at or worse try and educate and civilise. Have you considered how much impact your curiosity will be having on the way of life you so much admire?

Why your all at it you could go discover the source of the Nile and take a few dodgy antibiotics and save the poor heathens from themselves.

Scott I am not implying that your world challenge trip is like that. However we all have to be aware of our impact on the flora, fauna and poeples of the lands we use as recreation.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Wayne said:
I wonder about the ethics of turning up and living with the natives as some sort of outdoor relief for the middle classes.

These people are not some freak show for wealthy pampered brits to gawp at or worse try and educate and civilise. Have you considered how much impact your curiosity will be having on the way of life you so much admire?

Why your all at it you could go discover the source of the Nile and take a few dodgy antibiotics and save the poor heathens from themselves.

Scott I am not implying that your world challenge trip is like that. However we all have to be aware of our impact on the flora, fauna and poeples of the lands we use as recreation.

Hi Wayne - believe me I'm not some imperialist who feels we should crusade forth and civilise the infidels... I am talking about spending some time with the natives if they will allow it, living as part of their culture and learning their skills, a bit like bruce parry in Tribe, and not trying to force your own ideals and values on them. After all the people who practice bushcraft as a way of life are the best kind to learn from.

In regards to world challenge, as far as I know the trip will consist of some conservation work for the rainforest and jungle treks, no gawking at or trying to educate and civilise the natives. :confused:

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
There are a number of other organisation like WC, BSES expeditions is another that goes to out of the way places . Obvoiusly they all cost . Some Gap year organisations are just honey pots for their owners, ask really indepth questions as to were your money goes . Big posh office usually means not so much spent on your experience. Many of the so called "projects" are really only superficial and do not stand the test of time! Also make sure that any work you are paying to do! is not stopping a local getting a job, it is a problem in some areas.
If you do your homework write some letters, etc it is possible to do it all your self and not have to pay anyone else and have a fantastic time.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi Scott

I know your trip with world challenge is not going to be some sort of freak show viewing experience. Beleive me I have been asked to lead trips in the past that have been.

As far as I know World Challenge has a good record. A lot of the money your paying goes on the back up for the group when in country. the costs of a medivac and SAR etc can run into hundreds of thousands really quickly. Trips will have been carefully reasearched prior to your groups arrival.

Good luck with the fund raising Scott. Its all part of the experience. You will have a fantastic time and learn loads more than you could have just joining the backpackers bumming lifts from one hostel to the next and getting stoned each night.

ScottC said:
Hi Wayne - believe me I'm not some imperialist who feels we should crusade forth and civilise the infidels... I am talking about spending some time with the natives if they will allow it, living as part of their culture and learning their skills, a bit like bruce parry in Tribe, and not trying to force your own ideals and values on them. After all the people who practice bushcraft as a way of life are the best kind to learn from.

In regards to world challenge, as far as I know the trip will consist of some conservation work for the rainforest and jungle treks, no gawking at or trying to educate and civilise the natives. :confused:

BOD

Some pretty perceptive comments from the last few posts.

My company has and does work with GAP organisations (not WC) and while it is usually well-intentioned some of the things that swamp donkey and wayne mentioned are true in my opinion.

None of these organisations are perfect but I think they are better than companies that offer "eco-tourism" or adventure for executive yuppies. I know of an outfit that arranges a hard few days's adventure for their big buck customers to play white water rafter, climber, jungle Jim, mountaineer and then relax and enjoy 5 star hotel cuisine and luxury camps set up by natives. They don't lift a finger.

They then return to New York or where ever and brag.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
try

http://www.coralcay.org/index.php,

Been out with them, very good training support learnt lots recommend them

or

http://www.opwall.com/

They are very good know many people used them, they supported by the universities as well several people I know also did their dissertations with them.

Both help you raise the funds need to cover costs and employ local staff and support communites. You may pay slightly more but as other said the cost of medivac etc is high, they do look after you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE