Costal Foraging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Hi,
I'd like to teach a group of Scouts and Explorers (13 - 16) as much as I'm able to in a weekend for a camp next year (date undecided).
However, my knowledge is pretty poor. Hence I'm planning on spending the Winter learning as much as I can and then the Spring at some different locations on the SE coastline putting it into practice before I offer the camp up.

So, looking for some help and advice.
1. Which books and literature cater well for this subject?
2. Are there any training courses in the SE planned around this subject next year?
3. Is there anyone on the forums who might fancy giving up a day to either teach me or join us for a day on the camp (I know thats a big ask)?
4. Which locations in the SE might be suitable for this or do we need to plan on travelling further afield?
5 Best times of year to consider doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer,

Tim

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I like the River Cottage 'Edible Seashore' handbook no. 5, covers a wide range from plants, seaweeds to shelfish, crabs etc, and it can be picked up quite cheaply these days.

I'd like some more detailed books but that one has been great as a beginner.

I've also got a couple of guides like these: http://www.field-studies-council.org/publications/pubs/rocky-shore-name-trail.aspx which may be a bit simple when you know what you're doing but good for beginners.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
River Cottage 'Edible Seashore' handbook no. 5
Plus 1 for the River Cottage 'Edible Seashore' book.
For Marine ID, A.C CAMBELL The Seashore and shallow seas of GB and Europe.

My pal and I have done 4 or 5 Coastal trips this year and these 2 books have proved invaluable, but the River Cottage book is surley No 1.
I don’t know the area where you live but even up here on the Moray Firth finding clean water or purifying it is the real nut to crack. Avoid seaweeds and bivalves “filter feeders” after July and learn various ways to fish, traps, long lining that sort of thing.

The John Lofty Wismans SAS survival handbook is well worth a read.

Good luck.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE