Galvanized Raised Beds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
On a thin zinced corrugated sheet the zinc does offer some protection even if the edge is cut, paint gives no protection in that case. Painting the cut edge gives some protection but I doubt the paint lasts the abrasion if it is pushed into ground.

On heavy construction anodic protection is sometimes used, on short stints usually not, 12 mm of steel can take some corrosion.

How about a stone wall?
To make it more complicated you can’t just slap paint onto galvanized metal. For it to stick the metal needs to be “pickled” first.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’m thinking seriously of trying this although I’ll probably use hay bales rather than straw bales.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
For it to stick the metal needs to be “pickled” first.
Yes, passivated there are several ways of doing, treatment with phosphoric acid is one of the best. Some people leave it outside for a while and it gets slowly carbonized.

Thin sheet metal is actually almost always hot dip zinced not galvanized.

(Slightly pedantic engineer here.) :)

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, passivated there are several ways of doing, treatment with phosphoric acid is one of the best. Some people leave it outside for a while and it gets slowly carbonized.

Thin sheet metal is actually almost always hot dip zinced not galvanized.

(Slightly pedantic engineer here.) :)
When I was still doing it for a living in The Air Force we usually used vinegar. But that was well over 20 years ago so Idon’t know what’s currently being used. To be honest, I never ran across a galvanized aircraft part. We usually had to do this when working on bits around the shop.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Zinc acetate is soluble in water which does not make it a very good base for painting. Looks like quite a few of the organic salts a soluble too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But there are loads of different paints available that are supposed to be used on zinc plated steel.
From spray stuff like this

to paint on like this one meant to repair the coating when the metal has been cut or welded.

He's only going to use it for the garden beds, it's not something that'll be on show, iimmc ?

M

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Look like stock tanks (livestock water trough), pretty cheap in the US. Not so much here if can find them. Maybe farmer suppliers?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be honest Mary, zinc rich primer is standard for ALL metal (Zinc chromate was our general issue primer in the Air Force) But whether it looks good isn’t the point. The reason for painting this would be to deter corrosion. Unless the paint sticks—-it won’t do that.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Look like stock tanks (livestock water trough), pretty cheap in the US. Not so much here if can find them. Maybe farmer suppliers?
Water troughs were my first thought when I saw them as well. Not so sure about the price though.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Many hot dip zinced parts are treated with a solution that has some oil in it that is poison for painting. It has to be washed off somehow.

Zinc containing paints of primers are neant for untreated (and clean) steel surface to give it better protection than pure paint would.

And after all this as you said it is only a garden bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE