Galloway forest, Easter week.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Last autumn I began to plan a week long trip to the Galloway forest. My plan was a few days backpacking, sleeping under a tarp and making a small camp fire to cook on.

The way the weather is at the moment I think it's turning into a full on winter mountaineering trip.

Anyone in the Galloway area available to give me an up to date conditions report?
Planning on heading from Trool to Merrick then north then down the rhinns of kills.

Definite crampon conditions or snow shoes preferable?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Dunno how much has fell but i'd imagine a helluva lot in the past few days.

Last week we spent 3 nights at Back hill o' bush bothy and there was a good 6-8" fell in a few hours, i even slid into a ditch with my freelander.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Newton Stewart bad and stranded motorists everywhere. I am snowed in, I stay in the Glentrool area. Merrick been white with snow for a while now. Looks like you will have to put it off but PM me if you fancy meeting up anytime.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Newton Stewart bad and stranded motorists everywhere. I am snowed in, I stay in the Glentrool area. Merrick been white with snow for a while now. Looks like you will have to put it off but PM me if you fancy meeting up anytime.

I'm fine with there being lots of snow about, I have the kit and the know how for crampons or snowshoes. I'm having to rethink my packing list though, its going to be a lot heavier than 12kg!

I think I'll probably end up doing stuff from a base, rather than heading off for multi-day trips. That way I've got the flexibility.

Is one side of the forest park likely to be more snowy than other side or just higher = snowier?

Cheers,

Jay

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Watching this thread with interest, as I'm hoping to head up to Galloway about this time next month. By coincidence, I'm not far from Bradford here in Silsden!
I don't have much of a plan other than wanting to see some wildlife (although I'll have my dog with me so that may not pan out) but I'm hoping to park in the Clatteringshaws area then head out towards Loch Dee and back round via Curlywee, taking a couple of days slow meandering...

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Lots of snow still but should be ok. Plenty of really dense forest so you should be fine. Personally I would go for a tipi and stove as a base camp and fan out from there.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
No teepee in my collection I'm afraid!

I'm heading up in a big car so I've lots of room for lots of kit. Will be equipped for winter highland levels of snow and cold but also have kit for if it's more springlike (as if).

As long as I can get into the forest park I should be able to have fun.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey there, you can read my experiences up in Galloway last weekend in this thread here. That said we were there as the snow was falling so, perhaps the roads will be clear by then. I did see drifts higher than our van at one point!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE