Gaiters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Looking for a serviceable set of gaiters if anyone has any. Looking to pay no more than£20 all in. (and preferably less as new berghaus ones are around the £22 mark)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
If you have hard soled boots ie army issue or altberg/lowas then i would suggest a pair of berghaus yeti gaiters.
They have a rubber rand that cover the whole top/front/sides of the boot stopping you doing any damage and are most excellent.
The extra layer round the boot provides a lovely warm cocoon for you feet.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Getting Yeti gaiters to fit boots can be problematic though. The Yetis where designed specifically for Berghaus boots when they were made for them by Scarpa, and the soles were made by Vibram to a licensed pattern for them alone. Then Berghaus started making the boots themselves; leaving Scarpa hanging, and kind've shot themselves in the foot as it severely limited the amount of boots on the market that the gaiters would fit.
You can make the Yetis fit other soles but it will involve taking a Stanley knife to both boot soles and gaiters as well as using something like Araldite glue to make them fit properly.
Even getting Yetis onto the properly made Berghaus soles can be a problem for some folk; involving very hot water and broken fingernails. We actually used to offer a fitting service in my shop as folks found it so difficult.
Once on however they are pretty splendid and allow you to ford fairly deep water with impunity. I used to have a set on my plastic climbing boots and they were brilliant, they're just a PITA to fit.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Getting Yeti gaiters to fit boots can be problematic though. The Yetis where designed specifically for Berghaus boots when they were made for them by Scarpa, and the soles were made by Vibram to a licensed pattern for them alone. Then Berghaus started making the boots themselves; leaving Scarpa hanging, and kind've shot themselves in the foot as it severely limited the amount of boots on the market that the gaiters would fit.
You can make the Yetis fit other soles but it will involve taking a Stanley knife to both boot soles and gaiters as well as using something like Araldite glue to make them fit properly.
Even getting Yetis onto the properly made Berghaus soles can be a problem for some folk; involving very hot water and broken fingernails. We actually used to offer a fitting service in my shop as folks found it so difficult.
Once on however they are pretty splendid and allow you to ford fairly deep water with impunity. I used to have a set on my plastic climbing boots and they were brilliant, they're just a PITA to fit.

Tell me about it, I'm currently trying to fit a pair to some old scarpa asolo boots, all I can say is it best be worth it! Haha

I'm going to try boiling the gaiters to stretch the rubber this weekend

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tell me about it, I'm currently trying to fit a pair to some old scarpa asolo boots, all I can say is it best be worth it! Haha

I'm going to try boiling the gaiters to stretch the rubber this weekend

Just heat the rubber rand in the hot water rather than immersing the whole thing; GTX doesn't take to well to being boiled. Then there's a set of steps to fitting to make it easier; would take an age to explain, I wonder if there's a YouTube video on it? If you get stuck message me and I'll try to explain it, could end up being a long reply though. :D

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Just heat the rubber rand in the hot water rather than immersing the whole thing; GTX doesn't take to well to being boiled. Then there's a set of steps to fitting to make it easier; would take an age to explain, I wonder if there's a YouTube video on it? If you get stuck message me and I'll try to explain it, could end up being a long reply though. :D

Cheers mate, I've found a few YouTube video, that's where I got the boiling idea! Lol I'll let you know how I get on :eek:

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi guys, Well after 2 hours this afternoon I still have a separate pair of gaiters and boots lol

I used the hairdryer, boiling the gaiters, fairy liquid and various methods of inserting the boots into the gaiters as followed from videos on YouTube.

I have a xl pair of gaiters and size 10 scarpa asolo tv boots so I think the problem is me 😂

Does anyone know of a yeti gaiters fitting service around the Derby area?

In fact ill even send them out further just to get them done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE