G1000 waxed with Barbour thornproof dressing, anyone tried it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tombone

Oct 9, 2011
Lyminge Kent
Hi, I have a 2nd hand Fjallraven Montt coat and am going to re wax it. Question is that I have an unused tin of Barbour thornproof dressing, has anyone tried using this instead of the Fjallraven wax? If so what was the result? It seems a waste to buy another product if I have one which will do a good job? Thanks Tom

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If the fabric can be waxed then Barbour's thornproof dressing is as good as any other like product........I don't know about Fjallraven's stuff but most brands of wax dressings use a similar formula, despite their claims of "originality' :)

Edit: I've just done a quick google for the Fjallraven Montt coat & in fact it's a polyester/ cotton mix with 65% polyester, so I don't think a wax dressing is a good idea as the coat is not waxed in the first place.......it has a hydratic fnish, what ever that is, so be very careful & do your homework before putting anything on it......it looks like a great coat, it would be a shame to ruin it.....An e-mail to Fjallraven asking their advice would be the best thing to do.

Last edited:

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
There's both a simple G1000 version of the Montt jacket as well as one with a Hydratic waterproof middle layer. Wax on the first is ok, wax on the second is unnecessary.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I seem to recall using it on an original Barbour jacket, mind you the wax was better than the jacket. Seriously.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I dont think waxing it is a good idea. Babour wax is good but it will stiffen the fabric a lot and alter the look and feel of the jacket. It would work as a proofing to a certain extent but to my mind the original wax is the way to go.

merman

Oct 20, 2009
south west
I have fjallraven cap which is made from G1000 and re-proofed it with Barbour thorn proof dressing, it worked a treat. Firstly I warmed the dressing and rubbed it onto the cap (but not too heavily) then tumble dryed, there was not so much dressing to give the greasy wax feeling but enough that water will bead and run straight off. I have used the fjallraven wax and find it leaves a white wax residue along the seams which the Barbour dressing does not.
Hope this helps?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE