"furoshiki"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outpost31

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2009
scotland
Hi all ,this is my first post not sure if its in the right place.
I've seen a few things on here by those like me who are wool blanket fans,and thought you might find this interesting. search "furoshiki".
the techniques work just as well with a shemagh or similar.Some alternatives to the old hudson bay pack. there are some good tutorials on youtube too

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Finally some one else who knows about furoshiki.
I thought I was the only one who loved the japanese art of wrapping

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I know a bit but not much. As a matter of fact, I havent thought about it in a while.

Ill get out my book on the subject.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Whats the book Tengu, I have never heard of one. All my reference material has come mainly form the green sheet, a few you tube videos and random creations to fit a need with shemagh, buff or bandanna.

I have some good furoshiki favourites on my you tube page if you have a look

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow
Thank you for letting us know about this, I'm amazed! I've never heard of this before (apart from the old pics of a bandanna tied to a stick in kiddies picture books) This is so useful, practical and just fantastic. Welcome, welcome to the forum and please share more!

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I ended up doing a bit of an unplanned walk at a Cub camp. Not having anything much in the truck (I was just there as set up crew), I wrapped some sweets and a Sigg bottle in my Shemagh and slung them over my shoulder. So a PDF of the Japanese Ministry of the Environment release is saved, so I know how to do it for next time.

Thanks.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
`Japanese Crafts` by John Lowe

Sadly the furoshiki section is not very practical, talking mostly about history and the modern silk ones used for Kimono.

it says wrapping is done on the diagonal, and the smallest size about a foot square.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE