funniest site of the week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
It's a joke right?

That picture of the launch looks like a bad photoshop job. A child could have designed a better website and it contains no useful information whatsoever.

I bet they wasted £500,000 on that, damn my company could have given them a site twice as good for half the money and we would still be laughing all the way to the bank.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
tenbears10 said:
It's a joke right?
That picture of the launch looks like a bad photoshop job. A child could have designed a better website and it contains no useful information whatsoever.
QUOTE]

Yup ,That sounds like a genuine Goverment Website. :wink:

MickT

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Looks like one of the many phishing images that comes pretending to be from a bank - same sort of feel to it. Shall we all ask them about linux, or start crank questions about how we're worried we might have caught a virus off the computer......

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I wonder how much taxpayers money that cost?

Couldn't see any mention of how to stop granny trying to make toast in the disk drive. or how to stop GCHQ reading all your bank details when you pay for something online with the risk they'll sell it to the US and it'll end up in the hands of the mob.

I feel so much safer knowing they care about Mr Gates' system.

:wink:

jakunen

Native
Erm, I'm an XP Pro user on all 3 of my systems and they have this little thing called "auto-update" that does all that automatically for me...

And both my firewalls are also configured to auto update, with some personal tweaking as I don't trust Mr Gates.

Most systems these day also do this automatically, hell even my keyboard gets new patches as and when they appear, so why do we need the government to tell us how to do this? Oh yes! Its coming to the end of the financial tax year and they have all that money they didn't spend on USEFUL things like public transport etc that they need to get rid of by doing USELESS things like paying someone £1M to design a website, that as someone already pointed out, a kid of 7 could have done infinitely better...

(Wanted, 1 log cabin in the hills with lake and river close by and NO GOVERNMENT IDIOTS WITHIN RIFLE RANGE(Barrett .50 range that is...))

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
jakunen said:
Erm, I'm an XP Pro user on all 3 of my systems and they have this little thing called "auto-update" that does all that automatically for me...

Where do those "updates" come from? The same place as the original, buggy software.

jakunen said:
And both my firewalls are also configured to auto update, with some personal tweaking as I don't trust Mr Gates.

I don't trust Mr. Gates to provide me with a reliable pair of shoelaces. I certainly wouldn't trust him to provide a secure computing environment.

jakunen said:
Most systems these day also do this automatically, hell even my keyboard gets new patches as and when they appear,

Patches for a keyboard? I suppose you mean the driver. Really, I think that the keyboard driver is about the oldest component in the OS, and should have had all its wrinkles ironed out of it donkey's years ago.

If I really needed a tweak in the keymap, I'd do it myself.

Keith.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
He's the one who looks after e-mail.
page01.gif

http://www.itsafe.gov.uk/library/explain/virus/page01.html

Keith.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
jakunen said:

Yeh, mine's set for manual update,, now how do I get rid of the sodding balloon that keeps telling me updates are available? And the reminder to reset the machine that pops up every five minutes after an update. I KNOW! I don't CARE you can finish updating after I've finished my own faffing around.

Can you make flaked tools out of computer components?

Realgar

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Monitor glass should work nicely, similar to obsidian....but keep away from the semi-conductors, the particles produced when flaked are liable to be toxic :eek:):

PCB laminates make interesting knife handles too :lol:

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
leon-1 said:
Now they are really taking the micky, I just looked at the how to section, it only covers one operating system, not really very much on that and office :roll:

You must have missed the bit saying "And if you work on a real computer, please check with a responsible adult OR your UNIX sysadmin."

Wahey. OS wars on a bushcraft site...

Sorry :nono:

Jim (onetime UNIX sysadmin, let's just leave the "responsible adult" bit for now. Ther's a reason for the "OR". :wave: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE