Fungi tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fast celt

Forager
Aug 9, 2005
West Yorkshire
I found about 20 or so cramp-balls growing in a small area in my local wood while walking the dog. When i got home I cut one open flick a spark towards it and it started to glow first spark. flushed with success i tried another and after many attempts realised it wood probably want drying out for while.
Is it better to cut them in half before drying? (lots of black dust,spores)

The next day after once again reading Ray Mears I set out with Eric the dog to find a Horses-Hoof (Tinder) fungi or another similar bracket fungi I had read about on the net. After much looking (3Hours) and no luck decided to go home cutting across some fields from the woods and in the middle of one of the fields a dying tree I walk past regularly took my attention and in amongest the many shoots coming from the bottom. on the main trunk I found 4 bracket fungi and I took just the 1. A big one by the growth lines about 4 years old 14inch by10inch and 5 inch thick. Left the rest for future use and so they can spore to grow new ones.
At home I set about getting the Amado layer out the to skin was hard as rock and it took some doing. (Plus my knife bit me lesson learned) then sliced it off the bottom spore tubes much easier.
I'd read on the net instead of boiling for 24hrs you could leave it to soak for a week or so and thats what I've done so far.
I had no ash to mix in with the water will this make a difference?
Are all bracket fungi as hard on top?

HOW DO I PLACE PICS IN HERE?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
on the main trunk I found 4 bracket fungi and I took just the 1. A big one by the growth lines about 4 years old 14inch by10inch and 5 inch thick. Left the rest for future use and so they can spore to grow new ones. HOW DO I PLACE PICS IN HERE?
The pictures will be helpful for identification.

Where abouts in the country are you? The false tinder fungus is rare in Southern England.

I have played about with a number of bracket fungi. Yes the slow groing polypore brackets, mostly seem to have a very tough top. There don't seem to be many reports of successful amadou production without the genuine horses hoof fungus.

The amadou layer in fomes fomentarius is especially fine among these fungi. It can be quite coarse in some of the others. Try working a small piece with your fingers and see it stretches out to a thin, felty material. If so then try charring an edge and the seeing if the charred edge will catch a spark.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Just put them whole on a windowsill to dry out or in the airing cupboard.
Remember not to pick the purple coloured crampballs as they are still alive and have not yet spored, if you take them home you will end up with a lot of mess around the crampball and it stains bad. Just pick the black ones...........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE