Fungi id

The nearest I could find on the net, just says fungus from exuding resin to cherry tree
SCH654_FUNGUS_FROM_EXUDING_RESIN_TO_DAMAGE_CHERRY_TREE.jpg

@ http://www.gardenworldimages.com/Details.aspx?ID=20186&TypeID=1&searchtype=adv&contributor=267&licenses=1,2&sort=REL&cdonly=False&mronly=False

There is also this strange thing, again labelled as Laetiporus sulphureus....http://www.lotnature.fr/IMG/jpg/500_img_3828-2.jpg

Interesting. In favour of my sanity, I think I'm gunna conform to the masses on this one lol. I have seen some strange formations of "Chicken of the woods", some of which do seem to share the same structure, but I still wouldn't say 100% it was. However, failing to find a suitable answer, I'm accepting it to be a fused, faded, laetiporus sulphureus, in it's twilight years. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well, I'll chuck my two pennies in. I've seen Ganoderma brackets that look a lot like that and it's a very common fungus on Prunus species.

B

Bob the Bodger

I think you should look it up in Phillips. Also most of the slime fungi and the like, are towards the end of the book. Shape,
colouration, smell, type of tree. All useful for ID species. Would go along with a late "Huhne Der Wald" or a dodgy grown one. In gardens you often find people spray them.. not realising their tree has had it! Bodger

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi Savagebushcraft,

That's why I said a member of the puffball family/genus, and not an actual puffball.

These are the stomach fungi, which includes puffballs, earthballs, earthstars, etc... The only British member of this group which occurs on wood is the stump puffball.

It's not chicken of the woods, as they don't usually grow on cherry.

COTW grows on cherry. More common on oak and sweet chestnut, but occurs on yew, cherry and various others also.

They are also yellow in colour, hence the name sulphur polypore (sulphur is yellow).

That looks yellow enough to me. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE