Fungi id

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi all,
Found this fungi growing on a cherry tree at the weekend,not surre what it is any ideas.Thanks in advance Andy
fungioncherrytree2.jpg

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Is it not one of them slime fungus things that move around the tree?

Don't even think they have a common name.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Dose this mean i got to go back and climb the tree and smell it for a better idea lol.If it is a chicken of the woods wot should it smell of? And if its a dogs vomit i take it it will smell of that ! something to look forward to at the weekend lol.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
>>Dose this mean i got to go back and climb the tree and smell it for a better idea.I

Smell is important when identifying fungi, yes.

>>If it is a chicken of the woods wot should it smell of?

Chicken. :)

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
It does look like Laetiporus sulphureus (Chicken of the woods) to me, but as Geoff said things like smell are really important in getting a correct ID. As are environmental factors, such as where its growing, if on a tree what type of tree (which I know you have already done :) ), if on the ground what tree or plants it is near.

If this is Laetiporus sulphureus, it looks like its losing its colour so I wouldn't get too excited about eating it as its probably not in the best of conditions. However, remember the tree as chances are that it will be back next year :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Dose this mean i got to go back and climb the tree and smell it for a better idea lol.If it is a chicken of the woods wot should it smell of? And if its a dogs vomit i take it it will smell of that ! something to look forward to at the weekend lol.

NO, it isn't the dog vomit fungus, that grows nearer & on the ground, .....

I'm not sure if the old fungus would still smell like chicken, the stuff on your photo looks like it's well past it's 'sell by date'.

Last edited:
Growing on a tree??????

Only one puffball grows on trees (dead ones) - the stump puffball. These grow in clumps and get no bigger than marbles.

That's why I said a member of the puffball family/genus, and not an actual puffball.
It's not chicken of the woods, as they don't usually grow on cherry. They are also yellow in colour, hence the name sulphur polypore (sulphur is yellow).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
This is getting interesting fellas............to clarify the colour question, it could be my screen, but it looks yellow to me & I imagine it would look even yellower ( if there is such a word ) in the sun.
Prehaps the OP could tell us if the tree was dead or not., I can't see any cherry leaves.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE