Fungi ID Please

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
We found these on a walk around Stodmarsh NNR Kent, (well worth a visit if you get over this way) and I am at a loss to correctly ID them.
I thought it was of the Milkcap family but have not found a reference/picture of this colouring, they had been disturbed/ trampled on, hence bruising on second pic.
Any insight greatly appreciated.
DSC00893.JPG

DSC00894.JPG

I left them as I found them due to being an NNR area but would like to know exactly what they are for future reference, thanks.

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Well the closest I've got to an ID is a Saffron Milkcap from the river cottage handbook no1, except these were found on marshland not a pine wood as its habitat is noted in there.

A bit surprised no one has chimed in with any guesses, maybe I lucked out and discovered something new!:cool: But most likely my colour perception is working against me again.:lmao:
Rob.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Well the closest I've got to an ID is a Saffron Milkcap from the river cottage handbook no1, except these were found on marshland not a pine wood as its habitat is noted in there.

A bit surprised no one has chimed in with any guesses, maybe I lucked out and discovered something new!:cool: But most likely my colour perception is working against me again.:lmao:
Rob.

No and yes. Yes your colour perception is working against you, no you have not discovered something new. It's a brown roll-rim, which is very common. It was once thought to be edible, but it slowly kills you. If you eat enough of them you get a weird condition where your red blood cells become unstable and start popping.

:)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Cheers Geoff, the only pics I have of the Brown Roll-Rim is in the above book and it looks distinctly white/grey around the gills and stem in those, which is part of my problem with trying to ID from books.
Printed pics or coloured drawings/illustrations never seem to match real life and again the quoted habitat does not add up!:dunno:
Least I know to keep clear of these if I find some elsewhere, thanks.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE