Fungi ID please - no pics sorry

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Whilst out this morning I saw what I thought from a distance, was one of those white fluffy looking lycoperdons growing about 7ft up a dead birch.

On closer inspection and general prodding about with my knife it wasn't what I thought.

This had a thin white waxy film over a brown shiney cap, the inside looked exactly like an 8oz solid lump of pure cocoa powder. It also had the same texture as cocoa and it certainly looked good enough to taste but I resisted.

Any ideas, I can't find a match in any of my books.

Measured approx 4 x 4 x 6 inches.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I first glanced it I thought it was one of those which look like loads of little eggs in a cluster. Oozing out of a dead birch it just caught my eye because it obviously wasn't a polypore.
But as I got closer it wasn't bobbley it was smooth and waxy. I was expecting it to be squashy but it was solid, so I just had to have a look inside. It can only be described as solid cocoa powder.
I'm gutted I didn't have my camera with me as it was something I'd not seen before.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That phallus ravenelli (sounds like a randy italian footballer off a carry on film) looks very similar, well the remains do :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE