72.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1078.JPG
    100_1078.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 25

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
You live far enough north. 1 and 4 look typical of what others have shown me. 2 and 3 don't look quite right but i haven't seen enough to exclude them. Are they all on the same tree? Proof of the pudding so to speak.... Do they have the dense felty layer that bashing a bit turns into something truely like felt?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Old artists conk?
I have found it growing like this around here, and it has been IDed as artists conk when in better condition. I think you can use it in a similar way though, it has a "felt"layer and a layer that looks like rods.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
rich59 said:
You live far enough north. 1 and 4 look typical of what others have shown me. 2 and 3 don't look quite right but i haven't seen enough to exclude them. Are they all on the same tree? Proof of the pudding so to speak.... Do they have the dense felty layer that bashing a bit turns into something truely like felt?

They are all off the same tree but I certainly don't live up North, Pembrokeshire is South West Wales on virtually the same line as London!!

So are they Horse hoof fungus?

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Doesn't look like it to me, i cant remember what the name is i'm thinking of but this one grows on Sorbus/Prunus i think

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I not too sure but here goes;

Top left, flat orangy brown shelf type bracket, I think maybe has odd long shaped pores (I am using my scooby sense to view them :240: )and is maze gill fungi (Daedalea quercina). The sharpness of the edge combined with the lumps on the surface there is also something about the the colour to which I base my guess on.

The bottom corner has that caracteristic shape of proper hoof fungi fomes fomentarius. There is a closely related fungi called Fomitopsis pinicola which has a larger orangy band around the rim and is more likey to grow on pines but will grow broadleaf as well. They both leave nobbly scars on the tree and fissures in the bark where the wood becomes visable underneth. The other tinder fungi (phellinus) are flater shape generally. All on them have white spores.

Ganondermas (artist fungi etc) cover themselves and the tree around with a brown dust (lots of spores) In my experiace they also reck the tree they are growing on causing very pronouced and obvious rot at the bottom of the tree. The pores underneath are very tightly packed together as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE