Fungi ID, again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
My little one and I see these everyday when taking him to school so we have seen the life cycle, so to speak, of the one that is now on its way out. I am not a shroom expert however, I think the top one is Chicken of the woods when comparing against the piccie's in my books. But, I would like a knowledgable opinion if someone would be so kind.

Thanks

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Like what the other fella said Chicken of the woods and honey fungus.

Any type of honey fungus cannot be safely IDed from pictures alone, there isn't much a chicken of the woods can be confused with, but honey fungus a spore print must be taken to ensure correct ID.

Armillaria has white spore print. Look a likes such as funeral bells, pholiotas and gymnophilis have brown.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Yes it is a yew tree that the COTW is growing on. There are quite a few in the little gathering of trees where the pic was taken.

I had a close up encounter with the fungi in the lower pic today. Where there are shrooms growing over shrooms there is quite clear evidence of white spores laying on the caps of the lower shrooms.

Got some funny looks from other parents kneeling in the dirt with my shroom book and a magnifying glass.

Thank you folks.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes it is a yew tree that the COTW is growing on. There are quite a few in the little gathering of trees where the pic was taken.

I had a close up encounter with the fungi in the lower pic today. Where there are shrooms growing over shrooms there is quite clear evidence of white spores laying on the caps of the lower shrooms.

Got some funny looks from other parents kneeling in the dirt with my shroom book and a magnifying glass.

Thank you folks.

I have picked and then cooked and attempted to eat an pholiota that had a white dust over them thinking they are honey fungus. Luckly it tasted very bitter, but since, unless it is from a area I know I do a quick spore print. Both honey fungus and pholiotas drop a lot of spores quickly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE