Fungi Foray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Went out for the day down the forest, had a stroll around to see what fungi was up, and was surprised to see quite a lot coming up, especially as all the usual spots have been very disappointing this year.

Found a couple of interesting ones that I haven't seen in the flesh before such as the amethyst deceiver and the common funnel cap, and also fuzzy polypore.

Found a lot of Boletus' down there too, which are now drying in the dehydrator for later consumption.

Amethyst Deceiver:
1499352071_e0bd7f75a9.jpg

Bay Bolete:
1500211476_154af225f8.jpg

A nice bounty:
1499351751_abaf41d0b5.jpg

Home and almost ready for drying:
1500210132_e719d25372.jpg

P.S Now would be a good time to warn me of any posionous ones that I have mistakenly identified. :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They are a fine bunch of boletes! Nicely done, they'll look great dried and put in a nice sealed glass jar ready for use in the summer next year. I love to eat my dried boletes in the summer, as I know it won't be long until I can get the real deal!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one Andy...I am off to the forest in a bit and will have a look for some ...Tis beechnuts I am after though... Like the basket btw....

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
the first year I was looking in the new forest I saw hundreds and hundreds of amythest dec's. Never seen them since. I spent a good 3 hours picking and sorting them over - there were so many!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Must have covered about 18km on Friday with a pal on a funghi forgage and found hardly anything.:dunno: We`ve had a fairly dry August and September in Yorkshire so I don`t know if that`s the cause or not.
I`m only really starting to get into mushrooms so any advice would be appreciated, not jumping on your thread by the way Andy !!

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Must have covered about 18km on Friday with a pal on a funghi forgage and found hardly anything.:dunno: We`ve had a fairly dry August and September in Yorkshire so I don`t know if that`s the cause or not.
I`m only really starting to get into mushrooms so any advice would be appreciated, not jumping on your thread by the way Andy !!

Get a couple of comprehensive field guides, so an identification can be cross referenced between them.

I have Roger Phillips' guide and also this one Have also just brought the river cottage field guide book one, which is on fungi - here

Read about the different species and where they are likely to be found, soil type, what trees etc.

Don't rush an id, I bet all posionings with fungi have been down to taking careless risks.

"If in doubt, leave it out"

other than that, just get out there and see whats about, and have fun. I'm no expert, its just another avenue to bushcraft for me, so i'm sure the likes of xylaria will be able to offer more assistance.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve read up a couple of mushy books now and currently reading the river cottage book because there`s some tasty recipes in there too. Usually carry a collins field book in the pack anyhow. You`re right though one thing I took on board early was "if in doubt, leave it out"
The point I was getting at was the sheer lack of mushrooms to be found in the usual places I find them, has this not been the case nationwide this year ??
Maybe there`s a big influx of bushcrafters round my way now and they`re just beating me to them all.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Get a couple of comprehensive field guides, so an identification can be cross referenced between them.

I have Roger Phillips' guide and also this one Have also just brought the river cottage field guide book one, which is on fungi - here

Read about the different species and where they are likely to be found, soil type, what trees etc.

Don't rush an id, I bet all posionings with fungi have been down to taking careless risks.

other than that, just get out there and see whats about, and have fun. I'm no expert, its just another avenue to bushcraft for me, so i'm sure the likes of xylaria will be able to offer more assistance.

Andy,

I'm blaming you for just making me buy the River Cottage 'shroom book (if Nat asks ;):lmao: )

xylaria

Well you look like you know what you are doing, you didn't eat the funnel cap, which maybe tastes lovely, but you are wise to avoid until you feel confidant. I read a qoute on the net somewhere that for learning wild fungi the first ten years are the hardest, well I am still learning new species most times I go out after twenty. I also get ones that leave me stumped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE