Funghi ID please

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I found this one at work, on the mud floor of the old farmhouse where we had been sawing up some old chestnut boards.

funghi%2525201.jpg

funghi%2525202.jpg

funghi%2525203.jpg

any ideas?

Cheers
Rob.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Rob,
looks like a shield(pluteus) type but could do with some sizes. also was there a ring on the stem and is the stem smooth or scaly? and, if by some chance you still have it, have the gills got a pink tinge since its been picked.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Cheers for the feedback, the stem is smooth, it should still be on site unless something has eaten it. Have a pic with a pound coin in for size reference though.

DSC01430.JPG

and I'd say the stem was 1/4" diameter.

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Right, it was still there but I forgot the camera but it had darkened to a deeper beige including the gills, about 3" tall and 1 1/2" dia cap. Smelt like when you open a packet of mixed dried mushrooms.
Hopefully that is enough to help track down it's ID, had another look in my books armed with the suggestions above but still can't make a positive ID.

Cheers again,
Rob.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
ok, so you have challenged us now. still pretty confident on Pluteus, but as to what species, am struggling. erring towards Pluteus Ephibeus but without a spore print, its tricky.
be interesting to see how it ages. Swmbo has had all our books out and is intrigued as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE