Fun at the Forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
I was playing out at the forge today creating new stuff. I made this little two inch two finger flint and steel striker. Im always a little surprised that so little surface can still throw so many sparks.

MiniStriker.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Excelent work Firemaker,
Did you use a file or a rasp as the donor material, or is the pattern introduced as an aid to throwing sparks?

Ogri the trog

Hawk Hawkins

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Tennessee, US
That is niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! I forge some too and I will sit down and stare at something I just hammered out in awe.... thinkin' wow that came from my hands and handiwork.
Hawk

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Wish I had a forge!
Wish I had some flint!
Wish I had 34 hours in a day!

:aargh4: I'm a bit frustrated now

Nice one!!! that looks smashing

Bob

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
Thanks!

Back when flint and steels were becoming common, steel was a precious commodity and was recycled. I like that aspect of the tradition. I like the file marks because the design is sort of reptilian and it gives the piece a sort of story. When the usefulness of a file is over in its present form, soon after it could become a gentlemens flint and steel, or whatever the smiths had a demand for.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Beautifully forged Firemaker, I like that!

Its good to see someone else making steels :D

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
Thanks!

Nope, I left the file texture there.

If its a good quality file you should be able to get some sparks. The teeth on the edge will interfer somewhat so grind one edge clean without heating the file up. If you see a blue color in the steel while grinding, you got it too hot. Then try your flint on the clean edge and watch for sparks.

Jason, Ive seen your work. You do some nice stuff yourself dude.

Heres one of my latest styles.

Picture081.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE