Full Reindeer & Goatskin Clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
One of my main jobs on the farm here is to produce leather clothing for myself and the rest of the boat crew. Our host, Børje, tells me what he wants, and then i get to work :) So the clothing is to be as stone-age authentic as possible, which no easy task when there is not so much archaeological evidence. So we do what we can trying to keep things are simple as possible, tweak things here and there if needed, and take ideas from other cultures who have certainly been around since the stone age.

The skins i have available are goat, reindeer, elk, and rabbit. Everything is hand stitched with artificial sinew.

It has been beautiful sunshine here today so have been out taking some pictures in the gear i have made for myself for sailing.

A Half-Goat among the goats!

So a breakdown of some of the clothing

The hat i made as a gift for myself on Børjes insistence :) It is made from reindeer and rabbit, more details here

The vest is made from two goatskins, with reindeer leather piping around the neck and arms for comfort. I have made two of these so far and have several more to make, though they will also have sleeves. I was teaching high school kids archery in the pouring rain last week wearing this vest and it kept me warm and dry :)

The trousers are made from reindeer leather that has been oiled and had fat rubbed in to make them semi waterproof. I used the most basic pattern i know to make them with a drawcord waist using hemp twine

On my feet i have some goatskin socks. I had them fur side out for the photographs as it looks great, but i will most likely wear them fur side in. The other side has had oil and fat added for water proofing. They will also be worn with elk and seal skin shoes for more protection :)

I also have a pair of mittens i made from rabbit fur which are super cosy! these also have oil and fat on them.

That's it for now folks. I now have to make clothing for the rest of the crew!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Really good-looking kit there, I have trouser envy! (Never thought I'd have cause to say that!!!)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Very nice work. I have been thinking about reasonably authentic clothing for boating in the Mesolithic and later periods. Sealskin would be the way to go but seems impossible because of EU rules.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice work. I particularly like the mittens. It's great when you get a chance to work with hair on hides and fur!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
wikid m8! you just need a coupla horns on ya head to fit right in....cant wait to see how you fair in the rut!.....those boys aint ever seen a goat with tats....you'll be the daddy!:You_Rock_

s

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Awesome work there Hamish. Love the trousers and good to hear that the kit works in the wet.

cheers Pete, hoping to make some more of the trousers but the reindeer is precious stuff!

wikid m8! you just need a coupla horns on ya head to fit right in....cant wait to see how you fair in the rut!.....those boys aint ever seen a goat with tats....you'll be the daddy!:You_Rock_

s

haha cheers mate, considering we slaughtered and butchered the biggest ram last week i think they know who is boss! ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE