Full flat grind...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My Gene Ingram b&t has a secondary bevel. Often the term "full flat grind" means that the knife was ground flat all the way to the spine regardless of whether it has a secondary bevel or not.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
I may just do that. What do you reckon would be the best way to convex it? Aren't Gene Ingram knives full flat?

Cheers Martyn.

I believe they are. But, like many American knives, they are designed as hunters first. That's where thier market lies. As I said above, full flat grinds make excellent slicers, good for hunting and kitchen work and the profile is seen often on knives designed for this. That's what the ingram knives are designed for. But like everything, there are no absolutes and the boundaries are blurry to say the least.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
My Gene Ingram b&t has a secondary bevel. Often the term "full flat grind" means that the knife was ground flat all the way to the spine regardless of whether it has a secondary bevel or not.

That's how I understand it too - I believe that's the generally accepted definition of the profile. But I've never seen a full flat that didn't have a secondary edge bevel - even my sabatier kitchen knives are a little convexed at the edge. Perhaps I should say I've never seen a field knife with a full flat grind and true zero edge.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
How would you say is the best way to convex the secondary bevel?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
Cold steel spike springs to mind. A very small knife that isn't a maiin one though

The CS spike is designed as a weapon...

4115301.jpg

It gets away with a zero edge grind because it has a very narrow blade. It's not really a field knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE