Fuel for MRS stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Why would you have to clean your stove more often?

As Johnboy said its an Optimus 111T triple fuel stove and one of my all time favourites. The army has released a batch and there is a glut of them on eBay and they are well worth buying. Very reliable, east to maintain, burn hot, simmer well, work in all temperatures and spares are easily obtained from www.base-camp.co.uk. PM me if you want some spares and I'll post you some.

These stoves are not ultra lightweight, but light enough if there are two of you, trust me, use this and it will become a firm favourite of yours.

Johnboy, good to see another stovie here, are you active over on CCS?

Thanks Rik, I only got it this week after seeing your St Georges day post, so now I know what to use with it I'll give a go
As you say it's not a lightweight but looks really well made, any tips on lighting, do you have to prime it or not ?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks Rik, I only got it this week after seeing your St Georges day post, so now I know what to use with it I'll give a go
As you say it's not a lightweight but looks really well made, any tips on lighting, do you have to prime it or not ?

I need to go to sleep not, just done a night shift on the ward, I'll post some general instructions in the next day or three when I have time, prime with meths if using paraffin.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Hi,

Yes it needs to prime regardless of fuel type... If using Aspen, white gas, coleman fuel or heaven forbid automotive gasoline / petrol, you can just let a bit of fuel from the tank fill the priming cup under the burner, let it fill 3/4 full shut off the valve ignite the fuel in the cup and leave well alone while the burner heats up... As the flame from the prime begins to die down open up the burner and the stove should pop to life....

If your using Kerosene / paraffin / AVTUR /J1 same procedure but fill the priming cup with methalayted spirits and use this to prime the stove its a lot less sooty than using kerosene as a priming fuel....

Priming is basically heating the burner up so it vapourises the fuel from a liquid to a vapour which then burns.

The 111T uses a silent burner arrangement ( the bit with all the small holes) when lit and running well the stove should hiss quietly... if it sounds like it's roaring and the burner caps is glowing red hot then the stove is 'underburning' ie the vapour is burning in side the cap not outside of it. This will melt / destroy the burner caps in short order... a lot of silent burner stoves a prone to this including the 111T in my experience. To cure switch the stove off ensure the flame is completely extingiushed. then relight the burner at the top.

To prevent this find it helps to keep the burner well shielded from drafts etc....

Hope this helps......

John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One seller was knocking them out at £19.99 buy it now, some of the stove lads have bought 10 or more each. She (the seller) has now put them at an auction price and is making more money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE