FS: Canvas and Leather Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
SOLD subject to all the usual sortings-out....

Just finished this rucksack:

ouroborospack5.jpg

dsc02270f.jpg

It is about 400mm high by 320mm wide and is, essentially, flat - like a canoe pack. Packed, I reckon it comes in at around 12 litres or so. I made one for myself (HERE) and it has become my pack of choice for EDC - I always carry my sarnies to work in it! :)

It has a zipped internal pocket:

ouroborospack4.jpg

Made from 12 oz rot and water proofed canvas with leather straps, brass buckles and copper saddler’s rivets. All sewn together with strong upholstery thread.

ouroborospack3.jpg

ouroborospack1.jpg

It has a double bottom and a leather lid with a dragon “Ouroboros” design (that took me HOURS in front of the computer to do! – might become my makers mark).

ouroborospack2.jpg

And finally... I have it on the incontrovertible authority of my class of 14 year olds that these bags are COOL! (Believe me - there is no higher authority on these matters.)

Price reduced to £45!

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Sorry, Samon, I clicked on "Submit Thread" when I wanted "Preview Post" and had to edit the whole thing - it's Friday and I'm knackered! Full post above now, with more pics. £60 inc p&p.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Sorry, Samon, I clicked on "Submit Thread" when I wanted "Preview Post" and had to edit the whole thing - it's Friday and I'm knackered! Full post above now, with more pics. £60 inc p&p.

haha no worries mate, it looks great btw!

I don't think I can afford it unfortunately, but maybe in the future I'll be able to get one like that from you!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
that is awsome, if i didnt make my own leather stuff, i would have snaped your hand of for this.
loving that makers mark mate, very cool.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Beautiful work, I really admire the attention to detail you've put into this piece. What program did you use to draw the dragon design? And how did you transfer the pattern to the leather? And what did you use to carve it out?
Answers on the back of a postcard please... :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Beautiful work, I really admire the attention to detail you've put into this piece. What program did you use to draw the dragon design? And how did you transfer the pattern to the leather? And what did you use to carve it out?
Answers on the back of a postcard please... :)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - just got in from the Bushcraft Show in the lakes.

Basically, I cheated...

I used Corel Draw to draw the design, then used a computer-controlled laser to etch it onto the leather - not very traditional, I know! (on th eother hand, when they invented the pole lathe I bet there was a guy in the corner with his adze and axes saying: "This is blasphemy! It'll never catch on.")

I am a DT teacher and have lots of high tech toys to play with - they way I look at it is, the more I can explore the possibilities of the machines, the more I can teach the kids.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Kerne is it still avalible?

Whats the option of adding a couple of leather straps to the bottom to hold a bedroll?

Not sure what lengh i'd want but if its do able i could do a bit of measuring and let you know -

Of course I'd expect a rise in cost :D

cheers

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Kerne is it still avalible?

Whats the option of adding a couple of leather straps to the bottom to hold a bedroll?

Not sure what lengh i'd want but if its do able i could do a bit of measuring and let you know -

Of course I'd expect a rise in cost :D

cheers

Still available and I reckon a couple of straps would be doable - let me know what you're thinking.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Corso - another thought: instead of permanently attached straps, how about two sets of D-ringson the bag and a pair of buckled straps for the bedroll which would fit through them when required?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE