frying pan help

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I just checked out the link to see the pic of a similar frypan. Interesting.

Another possible option:

Cut the handle off at that "bend" in it. Then carefully bend the stub left over till it is sticking straight out from the skillet. Now drill one hole through it and one hole through the end you cut off. Now either put in a loose rivet, or a bolt/nut. The old long portion of the handle can now swing over and across the skillet for packing. And when you need it, swing it back out straight. If you are using a bolt/wingnut, then just tighten to hold the handle straight. Otherwise, take a short length of tubing and flatten it enough to slip down over the handle and over that pivot point/rivet. This should then be tapped tighter. It will then "lock" the handle in place. When you are packing up, just tap that section of tube back, and swing the handle back over the skillet. This way the handle folds by swiveling to the side instead of hinging up and over.

Just another possibility to consider.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Historical note: The old "voyageurs" used skillets with handles from 2 to 3 foot long! And NON-FOLDING! They used them to cook over an open fire - so they could hold the pan from a somewhat safe distance. And they were generally travelling by canoe, and had less concerns about compact storage of their frypans. They were more concerned about cooking their food quickly over a roaring fire, instead of waiting for it to burn down to coals. A hot meal before dark after paddling a canoe all day was far more important to them. And that canoe offered them the "luxury" of room to transport that very long handled skillet/frypan.

galew

Tenderfoot
Many thanks to Wayland and Tadpole.
I think for ease of manufacture it's going to be tadpoles suggestion.

Just seen Mesquites post another good idea , a metal tube must have lots of other uses in the woods.
Now I'm undecided again.
Cut the pipe at an angle and sharpen it and you now have a digging tool, and a defense weapon against most things that you could use a knife for, or on end of pole as spear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE