Frying oil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Warm it a little and strain it through the basket that goes into the fryer that you've lined with paper kitchen towels.
That'll clean it up fine :D

No idea what to make from it. It's dark here about 16 hours a day, I have lanterns lit in the garden, you could make some from plant pots with a wick ? Smokey though.

atb,
Toddy

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
You should be able to make 'bio-lamp-oil' in much the same way as you make biodiesel.

There's a pop-bottle method detailed here: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Pop-Bottle-Biodiesel

How easy or difficult to light the end result will be I've no idea - but it'll mix well with parafin et al. Pressurized parafin stoves etc. use at your own risk, but a lamp with a wet wick in it should be fine with neat stuff if you can get it to light easily or mixed with an accelerant if it doesn't want to burn.

Now you've just got 2 litres to find a use for :D

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Does boideiesel burn in multi-fuel stoves? I've heard of many diesel engines running fine on filtered veg oil, perhaps you don't even need to do anythign beyond that?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The cetane (explosivity) number of biodiesel is a lot higher than pump diesel or parafin. Lighting the liquid directly with a match is just about impossible - but then pump diesel doesn't exactly roar away if you dop a match in it either. It might be possible with a wick, I haven't ever tried it, but it's not going to be much different to lighting straight veg oil I'd imagine.

It burns fine in a compression engine - but that's a combustion chamber temperature of hundreds of degrees and with the fuel in a fine spray in the presence of a surfeit of oxygen.

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
Many big restaurants take it as they sell it to recyclers. You can also mix it in a few stages with bird feed or bread pieces and other leftovers (harden in fridge and stir in the bowl or plastic bag with a utensil) and feed it to birds who like it, specially in winter.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
If I had it, I'd filter out the solids and let it stand so the oil could be filtered of the top of the fat content from the food then heat it to drive of the water content from the food and then I'd bung it in my fuel tank with the rest of the vegoil.....the fats that are left I'd use in my solid fuel burner.....OK it smells, so do most fuels!

Making it in to bio is extra work, you don't get as much and you have to use other materials which can be of a hazardous nature, leaving even more residue to be desposed of which will again be more hazardous.....

Thing is, is it worth the effort for such a small amount? probably not, give it to someone who already uses it....

Or just use it as it is for lamp oil and put up with the smell!

Nigel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE