Frustrating nights pigeon shooting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I went roost shooting tonight - and could not hit a barn door with a banjo!

It's been a while since I've done any proper shooting (apart from beaters day whhere i bagged a couple of pheasants) and was surprised how out of practise I was, I had my lead completely wrong! Even the pigeons that came over relatively low were missed.

I managed to bag a couple in the end, but must have shot at least 20 cartridges :(

Any pigeon shooting tips gratefully received!

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Book yourself a day with the clays with a friend who shoots.

Similarly, I'd not shot for a while and was invited to a charity shoot. Couldnt hit a clay during the morning rounds but my score slowly crept up as the cartridges dwindled. The advice, jeering and encouragement all helped to focus my determination and pay attention to what I was doing. Like all things like this: practice, practice, practice.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
wait 'till you see the whites of their eyes! :D

only ever shot clays before mate so you will already know any advice I could offer.

it all just boils down to practice practice practice. - get out there a few more times. I guarantee by your 3rd outing you will be back on form - or at least better.

andy

Rychard

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
cannock staffordshire
when i go out for a bit of roost shooting i allway let the pigen land in tree top then shoot them with my little 410 bit dear on roundes but worth it :BlueTeamE:BlueTeamE

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
as the others have said, range time is your best friend. When I shoot (live things) with me air rifle I hardly fire any rounds, so I make sure I get to the range at least twice a month, just to get some rounds down (I enjoy it as well, which helps). it also gives me the chance to push my limits, safe in teh knowledge that if I only wing it, the target won't complain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE