Fruit Leathers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chas

Feb 22, 2006
mid essex
Good Day, would you good folks be kind enough to point me in the direction of tutorials and/or instructions for fruit leathers of as many and varied fruits as possible, many thanks, Chas.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Good Day, would you good folks be kind enough to point me in the direction of tutorials and/or instructions for fruit leathers of as many and varied fruits as possible, many thanks, Chas.

Easy peasy. Seriously. Just whizz up the fruit in a blender until you have a thick goo, spread it on baking sheet with a very light smear of olive oil on it and then put it in the drier and dry. I've found that raspberries, strawberries, apples, bananas, etc. Try anything you recon may taste nice. There's a lot of elderberry out, and blackberries.

You really need to make sure the blended goo is thick. Use apples / pears or similar to add bulk.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
..........and if it's not thick then you can simmer it in a pot for a bit to reduce down. :D
Pears done this way are absolutely beautiful :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
We made some for the Lake District trip this summer.

Apple leather made by spreading a layer of stewed apple ~5mm thick on a tray in the oven at ~50 degrees centigrade.
After a few hours it went translucent and peeled up like plastic.

My son and I wrapped pieces around some Billberries - lovely :)

Cheers,
Steve

chas

Feb 22, 2006
mid essex
Good day, I thank you kindly for your replies I'll be trying "fruit tanning" this weekend. All the best, the barefoot canoeist, Chas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE