Frosts of Mora ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
This is my general purpose fixed blade knife, it says Frosts of Mora, Made in Sweden, Laminated steel on the blade. Does anyone know anything about Frosts ?

frostsr.jpg

The scabbard appears to be leather, possibly boiled leather as it is rock hard, but it is stitched together up the back, the suspension loop thing is my own doing, a pivot point made out of one pence sized copper disks, four in total with a brass centre. The leather on the suspension loop thing is a bit poor, it being that bonded crumby stuff that looks like leather, probably is some sort, but not leather that any animal produces, but it was all I had at the time and I needed the suspension loop quickly, so as you can see, it was a belt supposedly made out of leather.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I thought that there were several knife-producers in the village of Mora, one being Frost. Now they are together and known as Mora of Sweden. Frost was one of the individual producers before this happenend and i still hear the name quite often mentioned as a synonym for mora.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Indeed Mora is a town similar to Sheffield where there used to be many dozens of knife makers. When I visited in 2004 there was just Frosts and Erikson. Erikson bought Frosts out a few years ago and now just market as Mora. They are good knives, mass produced and cheap but very good. You can see pics of where it was made here http://www.britishblades.com/forums/content.php?104-frosts-factory-visit-pictures

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I did have a couple of smaller blades made out of carbon steel, they had the name Erikson on them, but I gave them away, they both had moulded plastic scabbards, quite ornate really, but not as ornate as the thing I have in the picture above.

But the laminated blade, it bends and can be bent, when I found it, it had a slow s shape to the blade which I bent out with a vice and the softer material on the outside of the blade marks easily.

I did also have the blades as featured in the pictures linked, I still have one the bright orange rescue type knife with a serrated edge up be the handle, I use that for fishing because it slices through much very easily and can be sawn through tougher materials, like I sawed my carpet up with it, the stanley blade proving pretty useless. I also had another without the serrations but again I gave it away, those two I bought in a supermarket in Orebro in Sweden, they were the equivalent of about £7 each. Also over there everyone indeed carries one in public and it is the Snickers workwear sold in this country, the utility vest features a scabbard for those very knives and all public amenities workers all have one fitted in the vest in public. Also kids can buy them and be seen with them with no issues whatsoever.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE